Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: New Marlin owner

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: New Marlin owner 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I received all the gaskets with the car so it’s only costing me time just now. I have stripped the valves out the head and they are just needing cleaned and recut. I will remove the pistons and check the rings are not stuck and then hone them to take the shine off the bores. The rest looks fine. As I said this engine has only done 12000 miles since it was rebuilt. It’s just rust with it sitting so long. The timing belt fell apart when I tugged it. Everything rubber is being replaced. The camshaft has the number K-355 on it. Does anyone know if that is standard?
    Thanks again.

2. #22 Re: New Marlin owner 
    My opinion, for what its worth. Do what you have to to get it running and put some miles on it. Then you will know what it needs and you will know a lot more about it.

3. #23 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Re the unleaded head (if indeed it is). IMO I suppose you have to offset the cost of this with how many miles you intend to put on the car and what state of tune you anticipate the engine will have; as I'm sure you're aware the main reason for getting it machined for unleaded is to get harder valve seat inserted as without the good old lead in the petrol these are susceptible to more wear. I ran a little Dutton Melos for years using unleaded in an unmodified head and generally I was only doing a few thousand miles a year, with those kind of miles it would take many years for the valve seats to be impacted.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

4. #24 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Just going to rebuild head with standard valves and seats. I will put an additive in the tank as won’t be doing serious miles. Thanks.

5. #25 Re: New Marlin owner 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    To check wether your head has hardened seats refer to Cabriobobs article posted in 2007. Ford Engines - Unleaded Fuel Info.
    Might be difficult finding these heads in scrapyards, but the info still stands.

6. #26 Re: New Marlin owner 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstacks View Post
    Just going to rebuild head with standard valves and seats. I will put an additive in the tank as won’t be doing serious miles. Thanks.
    With the relentless increase in Ethanol in fuels, which burn hotter than non ethanol fuels, I would do the unleaded conversion now. It only involves having machining done to allow hardened seats to be pressed in for the four exhaust valves. You are going to have to grind them all in anyway so if the m/c shop do it then you will save that hassle too. Peter.

7. #27 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Thanks guys.

8. #28 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Well cylinder head all overhauled. Decidedto take pistons out and am glad I did. All the rings are stuck in the piston grooves so all freed off and will get built back up in next few days. Looking good so far. Chassis in need of tlc as bad with flaky rust. Was going to paint it with hammerite but have been advised against using that.

9. #29 Re: New Marlin owner 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstacks View Post
    Well cylinder head all overhauled. Decidedto take pistons out and am glad I did. All the rings are stuck in the piston grooves so all freed off and will get built back up in next few days. Looking good so far. Chassis in need of tlc as bad with flaky rust. Was going to paint it with hammerite but have been advised against using that.
    Good progress! I now use Rustoleum Combi Colour Satin Black. It smells and works like the hammerite used to before it went all “green” and it chips off. Make sure you use the combi colour version. (The stuff B&Q sell is no better than hammerite: same reason I guess). You may have to go to a decent proper paint supplier to get it. Peter.

10. #30 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Thanks mate.