Handbrake cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake cable question

There are details in the Cabrio build manual for shortening the hand brake cable for the drum brake set up. Presumably this was also for the earlier short wheel base version?

The cable for my rear disc brake setup has a stirrup shaped loop fitting at both caliper ends. As shortening this is not an easy option I am hoping that for my long wheel base Hunter with disc brakes it is possible that a standard unmodified Sierra disc brake cable will fit out of the box?

Does anyone know if this is correct? Peter.

Re: Handbrake cable question

Hi Pete
    Unfortunatelyfor you this is what the Marlin build manual says
    NOTE: The cable ends used on the disc braked axle are not possible to obtain when the cable is shortened and Marlin have these cables specially manufactured.

Comment

Oh eck! Thanks Chris. I was looking for a quick fix for mine as the offside cable is a bit tight in the conduit. That has been caused by the usual crumbly rubber concertina gaiter that has let water and stuff in. This means that the caliper lever doesn't quite return fully to its stop, so the auto adjust doesn't work very well.

I will continue with “plan B” and pursue squirting lube into the conduit in the hope that it eventually frees off. Will try to find some equivalent gaiters that can be stretched over the end sturrups, possibly motorcycle brake part? If all else fails some layflat polythene tube and cable ties will have to do. Peter.

Comment

These people will make you a new cable. A phone call for a quote can't hurt.

Comment

Thanks Scott. All noted. Useful info. Will pursue freeing up the existing cable first, even if it means disconnecting the cable from the handbrake stirrup and pulling it back to add copious amounts of lube! Peter.

Comment

Working...
          X