Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Haynes Publishing up for sale? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Could this be the end of a 60 year empire. I’m pretty sure that we all own two or more of these publications.

Presumably the museum will be safe, but will they lose an income stream?

Time will tell!
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 23-11-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

2. #2 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Club Member
    I have 9. I bet that's not the most. I have been known to read them in preferance to a novel.

I'd go halves with you Steve if someone is prepared to lend me the money.
    Paul

3. #3 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Quote Originally Posted by milliemarlin View Post
    I have 9. I bet that's not the most. I have been known to read them in preferance to a novel.

I'd go halves with you Steve if someone is prepared to lend me the money.
    Paul
    If it’s not your money, I would want to know who the sleeping partner is.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

4. #4 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I have a stack of them, but I must say I don't like the new ones as much as the old hardback ones. The new thinner cheaper (?) paper and paperback don't seem as easy to understand. Or maybe I just don't understand the more modern cars.

5. #5 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    I have a stack of them, but I must say I don't like the new ones as much as the old hardback ones. The new thinner cheaper (?) paper and paperback don't seem as easy to understand. Or maybe I just don't understand the more modern cars.
    I have far more than two! One for every Model of car that I have owned (often none published though) and several for different models with a similar pedigree that may have used a similar engine/gearbox combination.
    if I got them all out, probably a 1.2m shelf would be needed.
    MOC member since 05/97

6. #6 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Alan c's Avatar
    suspect increased technology of cars, you tube and www killing the demand

7. #7 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    The technology of modern cars does it for me. I have the manual for our 58 Citroen Berlingo. When the heater fan stopped I looked at the manual. Then rang an auto electrician. He took a load of dash panels off and finally found a faulty relay. I couldn't believe the wires in there. An hours labour and a big relay, warm again. I'm looking for a Rickman Ranger or Dutton Sierra or similar that I can fix and that keeps my wife warm. Modern manuals just show how old I am.

8. #8 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    The technology of modern cars does it for me. I have the manual for our 58 Citroen Berlingo. When the heater fan stopped I looked at the manual. Then rang an auto electrician. He took a load of dash panels off and finally found a faulty relay. I couldn't believe the wires in there. An hours labour and a big relay, warm again. I'm looking for a Rickman Ranger or Dutton Sierra or similar that I can fix and that keeps my wife warm. Modern manuals just show how old I am.
    Electronics in cars essentially started in 1970 with the advent of emissions legislation. Not a bad thing in my mind as it fundamentally lowers fuel consumption and the pressure on my wallet.
    The same progression has happened inexorably in just about every area, and it has generally been welcomed, remember the days of having to get out of your chair to change the TV channel!
    Today with the application of wifi almost everything can be connected together, no bad thing, I don’t need a large tower computer to type my emails, I use my phone or iPad wherever I am. I am quite happy with the technology, it allows me to do things that would have been impossible in 1970.
    MOC member since 05/97

9. #9 Re: Haynes Publishing and the increase of Vehicle electronics 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member kahawi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    Today with the application of Wi-Fi almost everything can be connected together, no bad thing, I don’t need a large tower computer to type my emails, I use my phone or iPad wherever I am. I am quite happy with the technology, it allows me to do things that would have been impossible in 1970.
    I agree that modern electronics have vastly improved life, so many advances have helped medicine etc., not always obvious to us. My concern, is the idea that simply “Because we can - We should”, I’m thinking easy access to drones, lasers and intrusive mobile phone apps that I can’t see the justification/need for?

My worry is the all-electric car, witness those folk who have been locked inside a sinking Merc, because the doors cannot be opened once the wet gets in and I’m really not happy about electric handbrakes for the same reason, wasn’t the whole idea a failsafe backup means of stopping the vehicle? (Albeit slowly)!

Having been brought up through the ages of computing, perhaps I’m just paranoid about seeing the message “General Failure reading Hard-Disk” at 70Mph on the ‘Smart M4’ one day?
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

10. #10 Re: Haynes Publishing and the increase of Vehicle electronics 
    Quote Originally Posted by kahawi View Post
    I agree that modern electronics have vastly improved life, so many advances have helped medicine etc., not always obvious to us. My concern, is the idea that simply “Because we can - We should”, I’m thinking easy access to drones, lasers and intrusive mobile phone apps that I can’t see the justification/need for?

My worry is the all-electric car, witness those folk who have been locked inside a sinking Merc, because the doors cannot be opened once the wet gets in and I’m really not happy about electric handbrakes for the same reason, wasn’t the whole idea a failsafe backup means of stopping the vehicle? (Albeit slowly)!

Having been brought up through the ages of computing, perhaps I’m just paranoid about seeing the message “General Failure reading Hard-Disk” at 70Mph on the ‘Smart M4’ one day?
    Agreed with reservations. Air travel today is electronics based and the accident rate is substantially lower.
    Better electronics, monitoring braking systems etc. etc, can detect issues before they become safety critical.

I remember watching several early 70’s cars losing front wheels due to bad maintenance, a sensor recording bearing temperatures could save a catastrophic incident.
    MOC member since 05/97