Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Haynes Publishing and the increase of Vehicle electronics 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    The idea of making things idiot-proof just leads to the development of bigger idiots. People are both risk averse and unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions. How many people check their oil daily, even weekly? My car has a sign on the das that says 'Oil Ok'. On the Marlin the oil and water are checked every day. Also, there is the up-coming danger of hacking of car computers. For my toy it is KISS. Also old copies of Haynes manuals.

2. #12 Re: Haynes Publishing and the increase of Vehicle electronics 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    The idea of making things idiot-proof just leads to the development of bigger idiots. People are both risk averse and unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions. How many people check their oil daily, even weekly? My car has a sign on the das that says 'Oil Ok'. On the Marlin the oil and water are checked every day. Also, there is the up-coming danger of hacking of car computers. For my toy it is KISS. Also old copies of Haynes manuals.
    Strange indeed that with the advent of the health and safety at work act 1974 which attempted to make the workplace idiot proof, actually succeeded in reducing deaths and injuries, and not as you suggest more bigger idiots. Perhaps they had already received their personal Darwin Award.

As for checking oil and water, my bike and Mercedes do both automatically on turning on the ignition, along with a plethora of other both significant and insignificant other checks.
    Of course the sensors could fail, but most electronics can detect a sensor failure as well. Or for example over temperature, a consequence of low levels, before a critical point is reached.
    If you are having to check and top up levels on a daily basis, it suggests that there is some latent fault that has not been addressed.
    We are well past the age of steam when a locomotive engineer would spend an hour clambering over his engine topping up individual oil levels etc before leaving the engine sheds.

But we are now well off topic, it would be a shame if a bit of history, the Haynes manuals, were to disappear, they were in their time an essential for the home mechanic, although at times there were glaring errors and omissions. We have probably all skipped past the pages dealing with spark plugs and body repairs that were common to pretty much every vehicle when we got our third manual.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #13 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Best bit I ever had in a Haynes manual was an early one for a Mini:
    "Carefully withdraw the synchro hub"
    PING!
    <<new paragraph>>
    "Be careful not to lose the three springs and ball bearings......"
    OH SHIT: The floor is covered in wood shavings
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

4. #14 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Chris, Bin there dun that, still do. Yes, Steve, we do bypass the beginnings, but for some people that will be their first (of many?) Manual and in 50 yrs a grandchild will ask 'Grandad what's a spark plug? When the Berlingo went to have the heater blower sorted (forum passim) the sparks looked on a computer for the info he needed, not a book!

5. #15 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    When the Berlingo went to have the heater blower sorted (forum passim) the sparks looked on a computer for the info he needed, not a book!
    The value of the Internet is that it’s open 24hrs a day 7 days a week and it contains vast volumes of information which is constantly added to every day.
    Local libraries are being shut down, when did you last go in one, and the only serious outlets for paper copies are Halfords and a few other motor factors, unless you go to Amazon or the like.
    Online is the way of the future, Haynes may well survive as an online subscription service where pdf files can be downloaded, rather than as a traditional paper publisher.
    It’s hard to see, in the modern consumer world, how reference books can survive, they are not exactly ‘holiday reading’ sold at airports or promoted on the back of a television series.
    I am afraid it’s going to be RIP Haynes manuals unless a charitable buyer can be found.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

6. #16 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Agree about all said about the interweb however when I'm working on a car in my garage at the bottom of the garden I much prefer a paper copy as you can leave the page open as long as you want and it doesn't go into sleep mode because you haven't moved the page in the last 5 minutes, nor does a battery go flat from over use on a book. Also I find it easier to scribble notes in pencil on the edge of a book than on a pdf (yes you can add comments in pdfs but I prefer to not use my computer, ipad, phone with oily gloved hands).

As ever each to his own.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

7. #17 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggiesworld View Post
    Agree about all said about the interweb however when I'm working on a car in my garage at the bottom of the garden I much prefer a paper copy as you can leave the page open as long as you want and it doesn't go into sleep mode because you haven't moved the page in the last 5 minutes, nor does a battery go flat from over use on a book. Also I find it easier to scribble notes in pencil on the edge of a book than on a pdf (yes you can add comments in pdfs but I prefer to not use my computer, ipad, phone with oily gloved hands).

As ever each to his own.
    So many options
    1. Buy a copy of the manual you need. Possibly the best choice.
    2. once you have a manual, print out the pages that you might need. You can scribble all over them.
    3. Set your device to time out longer than 5 minutes.
    4. Invest in a charger for your device, if you get stuck under a vehicle, it might be your only source of assistance.

As you say, each to their own! But it sounds to me that you need to plan ahead.
    MOC member since 05/97

8. #18 Re: Haynes Publishing up for sale? The 
    I use devices for communicating, but I do print off pages to use and scribble on.