Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear stick upgrade

Hi

The gearstick extension I first produced had become a bit floppy so went over to my mate in Chelmsford and produced Mk2.

Definately an improvement with less movements.

The second picture being Mk2

gearstick mk1.jpg

gearstick mk2.jpg
    Last edited by listerjp2; 18-11-19, 12:15 PM.

Re: Gear stick upgrade

Looks neater too.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
      Looks neater too.
      A far more professional looking idea.
      It looks to be only a few specially manufactured components. Does that make it marketable to the community, maybe Marina owners would appreciate it!
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I am more than happy to take measurements and try and list the components.

PM me if you are interested.

Adrian

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        A far more professional looking idea.
        It looks to be only a few specially manufactured components. Does that make it marketable to the community, maybe Marina owners would appreciate it!

Comment

Very similar to my mod. when I put the Fiat engine in my Roadster.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, looks good.

The thing that made any of this posible was getting over the lift for reverse.

20171016_094359.jpg

Adrian

Comment

My interpretation and copy of what Hugh did.
              I plan to hold and lift the bar to select reverse.
              I need to get on with mine and stop getting distracted with other things.

711E0FE6-5E6F-4ADA-8C1E-C19CB3A0BF8A.jpeg

Comment

Do my detent trick it doesn't take long.

You might get your fingers caught. Lol

Long bolt and a spring holding the detent out.

I milled the thread of the bolt off so the thread didn't catch on the spring.

Adrian

My interpretation and copy of what Hugh did.
                I plan to hold and lift the bar to select reverse.
                I need to get on with mine and stop getting distracted with other things.

[ATTACH]11402[/ATTACH]
                Last edited by listerjp2; 19-11-19, 08:37 PM.

Comment

One of the many little jobs to try. I can also take the threads off a bolt in my lathe. My concern would be that as it’s just one bolt and spring that the detent plate slides on it could potentially jam if it twisted slightly when reverse was selected. As you have done this mod and proved it works I will add that job to my to do list.
                  I need to get myself a heater in the garage so I can spend some evenings in the garage this winter.

Comment

Luckily my son in law is a plumber and he has put the biggest rad I have seen (second hand) in my garage really snug now.

Has allowed me to do stuff over the winter.

I spent 6 years doing nothing to the kit and now you cant stop me.

I know most members here know this feeling but once you have done, not finished, your car and driven it there's that special feeling.

It's a special felling, almost smug, a car that was built by one person. Against all odds and it yours.

To all out there, keep going, you don't have to be an engineer just enjoy.

You don't always get it right but hey.

Bit sloppy but I love my car and the only other person who will get to know that feeling Is my grandson, I have left it to him in my will.

He loves it to.

Adrian

One of the many little jobs to try. I can also take the threads off a bolt in my lathe. My concern would be that as it’s just one bolt and spring that the detent plate slides on it could potentially jam if it twisted slightly when reverse was selected. As you have done this mod and proved it works I will add that job to my to do list.
                    I need to get myself a heater in the garage so I can spend some evenings in the garage this winter.

Comment

Very interesting gearchange mod.
                      Virtually identical to the factory fitment on my old Dellow (manufactured back in 1950) … and Allards of various types in the nineteen fifties.
                      They worked perfectly.

I think Dellow used a spare TRE for the rear pivot.
                      Last edited by marlin1984; 20-11-19, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Steve. Yet again I am now getting this message from KeepandShare - despite registering ? >

"There are no matching documents to display, change your folder."

Is it me ?

Comment

My gearchange is very similar to ListerJP2 as is the detent. So far it works well with no problems. The gear lever needs moving forwards a few inches, I don't know how it came to be so far back. Winter job comming up.

Comment

Originally posted by marlin1984 View Post
                            Steve. Yet again I am now getting this message from KeepandShare - despite registering ? >

"There are no matching documents to display, change your folder."

Is it me ?

I have no idea why this subject appeared in this thread!
                            I have responded via PM and will not discuss further on this thread.
                            MOC member since 05/97
                            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Ahh I see what you mean, picture of Dellow below

82278.jpg

Originally posted by marlin1984 View Post
                              Very interesting gearchange mod.
                              Virtually identical to the factory fitment on my old Dellow (manufactured back in 1950) … and Allards of various types in the nineteen fifties.
                              They worked perfectly.

I think Dellow used a spare TRE for the rear pivot.

Comment

Working...
                              X