Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gear stick upgrade

Pic is a good find.

But as a Dellow-owner ( I've still got one in pieces in the garage … ) the wooden dash is wrong as are many of the switches & instruments.

Comment

His car, his choices, personally I think it looks right.

Comment

[QUOTE=HairyDave;51921]His car, his choices, personally I think it looks right.[/QUOTE

It aint "right". But you are welcome to your opinion.

And I think it looks tacky in the extreme. Good taste/skill and ownership of a Classic Car don't always go together …

Comment

Perhaps you should consider posting a picture of your Dellow to show us why we should not be liking what we see in the picture? IMO the one in the picture looks nice enough to me.
          2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
            Perhaps you should consider posting a picture of your Dellow to show us why we should not be liking what we see in the picture? IMO the one in the picture looks nice enough to me.
            Perhaps you should consider looking at https://www.dellowregister.co.uk/ to find the history and numerous pictures.

Listerjp2 has come up with his interpretation (Mk2) it’s interesting, but missing the extra detent to select reverse, and works for a Marina based Marlin Roadster and may well work with Triumph based Roadsters which have the same sort of mechanical assembly and history.

Dellow have their own history, much older than Marlins, of course they get customised dashboards, but Marlins were always a kit car, so subject to personal interpretation!
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

That is the point Steve, Probably since the dawn of personal transport people have customised their vehicle even to John Lennon's Royce (Ugh, to my mind, but, hey!) If you have enough money Bentley will put a star map in the roof lining of your new car. On the Dellow site I didn't find a dashboard picture. Gut I did like the instrument faces with an anti-clock Rev counter.

Comment

If you look at the picture of the gearbox you will see a long bolt with a spring on it.

That has replaced the short bolt that held the detent in.

Now when you push over for reverse the detent is pushed out of the way thus negating the need to lift the gearstick over said detent.

The choice of spring is critical as is the length of bolt, a lot of trial and error is required.

The one I have gives just enough resistance to let me know when I am using reverse.

I hope this explains how it works.

Adrian

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                Perhaps you should consider looking at https://www.dellowregister.co.uk/ to find the history and numerous pictures.

Listerjp2 has come up with his interpretation (Mk2) it’s interesting, but missing the extra detent to select reverse, and works for a Marina based Marlin Roadster and may well work with Triumph based Roadsters which have the same sort of mechanical assembly and history.

Dellow have their own history, much older than Marlins, of course they get customised dashboards, but Marlins were always a kit car, so subject to personal interpretation!

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post

I would consider it - except that I sold my original Dellow over 20 years ago !
                  But I do know what I am talking about, having owned one and helped run the Register in the early years.
                  (my unrestored Dellow is already on the Register site BTW - I have spent years seeking photos of and acquiring bits/switches for the original style dash - but that's how I do things.

"Customised dashboards" are all very well if you don't know what the original looked like -
                  but would you buy a Grade 2 listed house and replace all the door hinges with new ones fitted with Phillips screws ?

Not my cup of tea. But carry on 'customising' if it suits.

Comment

No, I wouldn't but maybe in the distant past an owner spec'ed a different layout when it was built or during his /her ownership in which case you would be destroying the history and provenance of the car. The Ser1 Landrover club has debates about leaving vehicles as they are complete with patina (dents and scuffs) odd alterations over the years etc.only replacing what cannot be repaired. Or returning it to fresh from the factory, all dated parts etc and indistinguishable from lots of other S1s. Your car your choice. Personally I wouldn't sand and varnish an Elizabethan sideboard, much better in streaky chalky white and blue! (JOKE!)
                    PS I own a Brush painted Mongrel S1 and my 30 odd year old Roadster is not much better, but both get used.
                    Dave
                    Last edited by HairyDave; 04-12-19, 07:48 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=marlin1984;51922]
                      Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                      His car, his choices, personally I think it looks right.[/QUOTE

It aint "right". But you are welcome to your opinion.

And I think it looks tacky in the extreme. Good taste/skill and ownership of a Classic Car don't always go together …
                      Perhaps you could search online and find a picture of what a definitive Dellow dashboard should look like?
                      Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X