Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 pinto timing

1. #21 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    I would be tempted to get a standard cam pully first and timing it up with that. It might not be optimal but it should run. Where are you?
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

2. #22 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    Club Member
    Got it to start today. I advanced the cam a tooth at a time and eventually it started. Just wed to keep it running to do ignition timing. Thanks.

3. #23 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstacks View Post
    Got it to start today. I advanced the cam a tooth at a time and eventually it started. Just wed to keep it running to do ignition timing. Thanks.
    Wed? Did you need a vicar?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

4. #24 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    Club Member
    Lol should have said need and no wed. Fat fingers n wee keys oh and dodgy spell checker.

5. #25 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    club member Club Member Dane_Rescueman's Avatar
    I agree with the others. If the Pinto is at all non-standard, the use of a dial test gauge is the only way to set up the timing. Even on the standard set up the TDC marks on the crank pulley can be way out. Once the timing is set correctly then the various settings can be marked by using a punch to make little dimples in your choice of easy to see locations. I tend to use the test indicator to check the timing every time I have the cam-cover off to check the valve clearances. It is much easier than some other engines.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

6. #26 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    Club Member
    I have never dialled a cam in so have no idea how to do it.

7. #27 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    club member Club Member Dane_Rescueman's Avatar
    The Burton web site has a good guide how to do it. I believe the Haynes Sierra manual has the info although I don't have this book.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

8. #28 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    Club Member
    The issue is that it’s not an original camshaft so don’t know the settings of it. If there was a way of setting tdc then finding the highest lift point of a cam lob and marrying them together then that would be a breeze but not sure if that’s possible.

9. #29 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstacks View Post
    The issue is that it’s not an original camshaft so don’t know the settings of it. If there was a way of setting tdc then finding the highest lift point of a cam lob and marrying them together then that would be a breeze but not sure if that’s possible.
    Surely the simplest way out then is to buy a known cam complete with fitting micrometer instructions that can be easily followed.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

10. #30 Re: 2.0 pinto timing 
    club member Club Member
    I think that the cheapest way to get it running quickly & safely will be as Andyf suggests: fit a standard cam pulley. There's one on ebay for £2.50 at the moment. It may not be spot on timing and also the cam will be retarded some if the head has been skimmed, however, it will get you going. If you then want to take it further the approximate angular timing & duration of the cam can be measured using a protractor and dial gauge. With this data I reckon that you can likely identify the cam grind (and also it's timing setting) from data online.