2.0 pinto timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2.0 pinto timing

You may be able to check the approximate positions by eye.

With cylinder 1 at TDC as seen by the crankshaft timing mark, the cam followers on number one cylinder should be rocking (free to move not opening the valve). I think you can just about see the number 1 cam followers through the oil filler. The rotor arm should be pointing to the lead for number one plug. End of the compression stroke beginning the power stroke.

If the camshaft is out of alignment the exhaust valve will be closing and the inlet valve opening as the crank passes TDC. The end of the exhaust stroke, beginning the induction stroke. The rotor arm ought to be pointing to lead for plug 4.

If you are convinced the cam and crank are correctly aligned the dizzy could have been inserted incorrectly (easily done trust me). Another thing to check is that the distributer plug leads have been correctly positioned.

Good luck,
    Paul

PS: My spell checker is convinced the correct term is camp followers.

Comment

Thanks guys. Will have another check over on it and report back.

Comment

Well been at this pinto for a few hours today trying to get it to start. It got close a couple of times so in the end what I did was to remove the plugs and set the timing as close to the marks as possible and then I compression tested it. I then moved the cam a tooth at a time on the timing belt to see what would happen. When I turned the cam anti clockwise the pressure dropped so I turned it clockwise about 4-5 teeth past the timing marks and the compression came from 50 psi to around 90 so think I am in the right area. Have left it now as I think it’s flooded and battery is dying. Will give it another chance tomorrow. Am thinking of putting a stock cam in just to get it running again. I don’t have the tools or experience to dial the cam in. I would also need the settings from the cam maker and doubt very much I can get those. Nightmare but a love a challenge !

Comment

It sounds to me that you need to find a professional local to you that understands Ford Pinto engines.

You describe many variables, looking for an instant solution, internal combustion engines generally require that every element is right!

There is a vast amount of information available on line, especially for ford engines. Take it one step at a time, make sore each step is right, and don’t expect instant results.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yip I know mate. Been repairing cars since I was 16 that’s why I know to adjust the valve timing to get it as close as possible. As it has a vernier pulley on it then the standard timing marks are only a guide so altering things slightly until the timing is correct is about the only way to get it close apart from dialling it in properly.

Comment

I would be tempted to get a standard cam pully first and timing it up with that. It might not be optimal but it should run. Where are you?
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Got it to start today. I advanced the cam a tooth at a time and eventually it started. Just wed to keep it running to do ignition timing. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by twinstacks View Post
                  Got it to start today. I advanced the cam a tooth at a time and eventually it started. Just wed to keep it running to do ignition timing. Thanks.
                  Wed? Did you need a vicar?
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Lol should have said need and no wed. Fat fingers n wee keys oh and dodgy spell checker.

Comment

I agree with the others. If the Pinto is at all non-standard, the use of a dial test gauge is the only way to set up the timing. Even on the standard set up the TDC marks on the crank pulley can be way out. Once the timing is set correctly then the various settings can be marked by using a punch to make little dimples in your choice of easy to see locations. I tend to use the test indicator to check the timing every time I have the cam-cover off to check the valve clearances. It is much easier than some other engines.
                      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I have never dialled a cam in so have no idea how to do it.

Comment

The Burton web site has a good guide how to do it. I believe the Haynes Sierra manual has the info although I don't have this book.
                          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

The issue is that it’s not an original camshaft so don’t know the settings of it. If there was a way of setting tdc then finding the highest lift point of a cam lob and marrying them together then that would be a breeze but not sure if that’s possible.

Comment

Originally posted by twinstacks View Post
                              The issue is that it’s not an original camshaft so don’t know the settings of it. If there was a way of setting tdc then finding the highest lift point of a cam lob and marrying them together then that would be a breeze but not sure if that’s possible.
                              Surely the simplest way out then is to buy a known cam complete with fitting micrometer instructions that can be easily followed.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I think that the cheapest way to get it running quickly & safely will be as Andyf suggests: fit a standard cam pulley. There's one on ebay for £2.50 at the moment. It may not be spot on timing and also the cam will be retarded some if the head has been skimmed, however, it will get you going. If you then want to take it further the approximate angular timing & duration of the cam can be measured using a protractor and dial gauge. With this data I reckon that you can likely identify the cam grind (and also it's timing setting) from data online.

Comment

Working...
                                X