Speedo Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Sensor

Anyone got or fitted an electronic speedometer to their Cabrio? Interested to know where people have fitted the inductive sensor before I attempt to fit mine.

Re: Speedo Sensor

try asking chris cussen, he gave me some info for my berly!

Comment

Assuming a Ford 'box, why not fit an electronic sensor..e.g. https://www.burtonpower.com/ford-ele...or-revfss.html
      Certainly made it easier than trying to find somewhere to fit an inductive sensor in a Roadster..!
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
        Anyone got or fitted an electronic speedometer to their Cabrio? Interested to know where people have fitted the inductive sensor before I attempt to fit mine.
        I fitted one! See link below. Peter.

Last edited by greyV8pete; 27-11-19, 08:55 AM. Reason: wording clarified.

Comment

I have a ETB electric speedo fitted. You need to run 2 thin wires to somewhere suitable. I used the diff and made a small bracket to hold the pickup over the flange to the propshaft. On the flange I glued two tiny magnets so there is a few mm clearance between the pickup and the magnet. ETB supply pickup and magnets.
          The ETB speedo is easily calibrated by entering the number of pulses per mile which means you have to know the rolling radius of the tyre and the diff ratio.
          If you don't know you can make an educated guess (I seem to remeber the majic number was about 4000). I then used a garmin to check the speedo speed against the garmin readout. You can recalibrate the speedo using the formula new value = old value * speedo reading / garmin reading.

Comment

I fitted a Smiths electronic speedo. Mounted the pickup on a bracket fixed to a diff bolt. The Smiths version is inductive, no magnets, and claims to work from any rotating metal part e.g. propshafr flange bolt heads. That worked, but the speedo became inaccurate over 50mph. After wasting a lot of time, I found it worked perfectly when I added a small piece of aluminium strip (for light weight) under one of the flange bolts so I could move the sensor away from the mass of the u/j by about half an inch. The sensor triggers on the piece of aluminium. The calibration number is about 1400 as it only gets one pulse per propshaft rev. Adjusted by trial and error when comparing with a gps.
            I didn't go for the electronic gearbox sensor because the drive in the gearbox had failed.

Comment

I fitted a GPS one from Speedhut in USA - brilliant. 10x stronger GPS so acts like a normal speedo. only wires are to light it uo and to the GPS pick up which is right above it on dash size of a matchbook. Lots of choice of font and colours to match car.

£200 ish plus few quid duty from usa.

Comment

Thanks chaps for all your responses. I'll probably go down the same route as Pete which is more or less what I had in mind. I did consider the GPS option but found the units in the Smiths classic style were very expensive.

Comment

All

Somewhat off the wall but I loaded a HUD ( heads Up Display ) speedo on my phone for FREE.

I used some blue tac to stop it rolling from side to side on the dash and in my view its brilliant.

On playstore look for GPS Hub Speedo.

OK its not so good when going through a tunnel but that's the only downside.

Adrian

Comment

As a note a GPS speedo will fail IVA!

Comment

Working...
                    X