Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps tracker

Hi
    has anyone installed a GPS Tracker for security purposes? I am considering installing one on my Cabrio. The thinking is that If my pride and joy was stolen, then i assume i would know its location. I found this which looks ideal https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/db2...iy-gps-tracker
    Any advice appreciated.
    Mike W.

Re: Gps tracker

Looks good and excellent reviews but as it uses a mobile network with their pre-programmed sim what are the PAYG costs?
    I had a quick glance through.
    Great idea and if the PAYG is cheap enough be good to install on all cars.

Comment

PAYG costs are as confusing as the telco’s can make it. I bought a SIM for £1 and topped it up with the minimum £10 credit. I used this in my tracker. It worked! I do not use the car that much so I did not use much of the credit on the SIM. I think the credit expired after six months. The SIM’s phone number got recycled shortly thereafter so that SIM will need to be replaced.

Touch wood there is very little value in recycled cars so I decided renewing the SIM wasn’t worth the effort (fingers crossed).
      Paul

Comment

Ok, I know i'm not uk based , but Free here do a sim for 2€ per month, 2hrs calls and unlimited sms. its essentially aimed at kids who use sms all the time here a la frog!

Comment

Hi,
          The sim with the GPS Tracker has an annual top up of £60. Sounds a lot but for peace of mind its only £1.20 a week. I will just cut out half of lager a week to pay for it!
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike woodley View Post
            Hi,
            The sim with the GPS Tracker has an annual top up of £60. Sounds a lot but for peace of mind its only £1.20 a week. I will just cut out half of lager a week to pay for it!
            Mike
            I wonder if the company would offer discounts to the owners club if a number showed interest? £5 a month is not a lot anyway.

Comment

Hi all .. a little more heath Robinson approach is to use an old iPhone hidden .. in the case of my BM, it’s under the boot floor .

Old iPhones can be got quite cheaply if you’re not concerned about spec or you may have one around anyway .Just wipe the phone and setup a dummy profile, the share location with your own phone. ‘Find friends’ app.. Cost again is £5 per month.. but you have a spare phone to use in emergencies as a bonus.

Several guides exist on YouTube to do the above..
              Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
              Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
                Hi all .. a little more heath Robinson approach is to use an old iPhone hidden .. in the case of my BM, it’s under the boot floor .

Old iPhones can be got quite cheaply if you’re not concerned about spec or you may have one around anyway .Just wipe the phone and setup a dummy profile, the share location with your own phone. ‘Find friends’ app.. Cost again is £5 per month.. but you have a spare phone to use in emergencies as a bonus.

Several guides exist on YouTube to do the above..
                The charge adaptor may be a bit of a trail to the phone.
                Otherwise a neat idea provided you set up a regular DD to top it up.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                X