Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Greetings & Wheels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keltonturvey View Post
    Many thanks for the replies. Here is my car - the Tangerine Dream!

Attachment 11417

I will get the spare wheel off and take some measurements...
    That combination of colour and wheels looks quite nice, but I add the caveat that I am colourblind.

A photo of the rear axle, preferably from the propshaft end would help to double check the wheel PCD, easy to check with a centre to centre across the the axle, you won’t be far out given the two options.

At the risk of repeating myself, again, follow the link in my post signature where my archive of documents can be found.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

2. #12 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    It's Marina based, you can see the torsion bars and rear springs. Also LWB version.

3. #13 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    Club Member
    What do you plan to do with your wheels? I like them.
    I currently have a full set of 5 Marina alloys that I plan to refurbish and a set of 4 Marina pressed steels which are currently on the car for the rebuild, tyres are way past it. Mine are the standard Marina 3.75” PCD.
    Cheers,
    Martin.

4. #14 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    I must admit that since about 1973 “Tangerine Orange” would not have been my first colour choice. But that car looks pretty distinctive maybe even classic. I hope you can live with it for a few years it won’t be long before tangerine and avocado are back in fashion.
    Paul

5. #15 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    frequent forum contributor Sidon's Avatar
    My Marina based LWB Roadster originally had the same wheels as yours. I think they may be Weller steels. I still have them if anyone wants them - set of 5, good condition, they have been painted silver and are fitted with old tyres (too old for road use) Whilst I realise that you like the pressed steel options you have shown above, I went for Minilite lookalikes and think they look quite good.
    Attached Images
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

6. #16 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    frequent forum contributor Sidon's Avatar
    How it looks now.....
    Attached Images
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

7. #17 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidon View Post
    My Marina based LWB Roadster originally had the same wheels as yours. I think they may be Weller steels. I still have them if anyone wants them - set of 5, good condition, they have been painted silver and are fitted with old tyres (too old for road use) Whilst I realise that you like the pressed steel options you have shown above, I went for Minilite lookalikes and think they look quite good.
    I’m interested, unfortunately I am in Cornwall so collection is a problem.
    If the tyres were removed I could get them courier collected. PM me if interested with a price you have in mind for all 5 with tyres removed.
    Cheers, Martin.

8. #18 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    That is a lovely looking car and I agree with you it does need different wheels. Where was the photo taken?

9. #19 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    That is a lovely looking car and I agree with you it does need different wheels. Where was the photo taken?
    There were a couple of articles in the Morris Marina Owners club magazine this year detailing the wheel options, for Saloon models.
    if I get time over the next week, which is unlikely as I will be on my travels again, I will scan them, and break copyright rules, and put them on Keepandshare.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

10. #20 Re: Greetings & Wheels 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

I took the spare off today and measured it and it looks like 3.75 PCD if I've understood the measurement correctly?

IMG20191205122722.jpg

Yes the car is the LWB version which helps as I'm just over 6foot tall.

@meverett - I will PM you about your steel wheels.

@ HairyDave - Thanks! The photo was taken in the grounds of a Fort in Plymouth where I am lucky enough to have my office. Amazing place with canon a moat and a network of underground tunnels!

@Sidon - the Minilites look great, in fact your car looks fantastic! I think you are right that my current wheels are 'Weller Steels'.

@milliemarlin - I had planned to paint the car before I drove it. However the colour has grown on me quite considerably. The smiles from the kids tugging on their mums arms and pointing 'look, look!' as we drive by is a lot of fun and is as much a result of the colour as the car.

@stevejgreen - thanks I will have a delve into the keepshare to see what I can find.

I will photoshop some other wheel options on that image and post the results...