Mazda MX5 Engine & Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda MX5 Engine & Gearbox

Further to the discussion of engine options, and that RH don't have the new Rover engines, I now fancy the MX5 route. Has anyone actually measured up to make sure it will actually go in? Jon mentioned steering column issues, do you think these be overcome?

I've been offered the package below from a breaker on eBay, do we think it sounds reasonable or might a whole scrap car work out cheaper?

1800cc Engine - ?550
    Complete wiring loom and ECU unit - ?250
    Air intake etc - FREE OF CHARGE
    Gearbox - ?250
    Propshaft - FREE OF CHARGE
    any other bits you want within reason - FREE OF CHARGE
    Clutch,brake cylinder etc - ?50
    TOTAL ?1100

Re: Mazda MX5 Engine & Gearbox

Chris,
    It is very difficult to say yes or no to the will it fit question. I measured up "loosely" and decided that there would be no probs apart from the fuel injection plenumb chamber as it sits on top of the engine adding height which was very difficult to work out as the fit would be extremely close. However, Westfield now offer the MX5 based car which uses the engine as is with no mods to the bonnet. I would assume that if they can fit it in then so can we.
    My intention was always to buy a whole car and try to fit the IRS in as well. This would offer the LSD as standard from the 1.8 as well as discs etc...The 1.8 offers over 130 bhp which most people say is the limit for the Ital axle.
    Whilst on a roll why not try re-engineering the front suspension to use MX5 uprights and make your own fully adjustable wishbones. That would be fun!!!!!
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

When you say 130 is the limit for the Ital/Marina axle, it's the torque rather than the bhp that is the limiting factor. My Fiat 2l engine with 150bhp on the brake has done over 15,000 miles on an axle with 40,000 miles since it was rebuilt. So as long as your axle is in good shape and you don't do standing start wheelies every time it should last reasonably well if well serviced.

Comment

That's good to know. Anyway, I've changed my mind yet again! The MX5 route is bit too pricey I think so I'm going for an old 2.0 Zetec and Type 9, which are plentiful, cheap and bolt together with minimul fuss (apparaently!)

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
          Let us know how that goes, particularly the routing the steering around the inlet manifold.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee
            Yeah I remember it well trying to get the steering around the carbs....

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
              The Duratec is the other way round with the inlet/induction on the nearside. The cosworth variant of the ford twin cam engine was also this way round, and does not need to be run as a turbo. See the Burton power web site.

Comment

What about the Toyota 4age. Some of these have their induction on the nearside and RAW Engineering can sell you a bell housing for not much money.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I fitted a 2 litre Alfa engine some years ago and, to get round the problem of the carbs being on the offside, I fitted an old Ford Capri steering column. This column is quite long and exits through a hole in the pedal box casting between the brake and clutch pedals. The intermediate steering shaft then runs under the carbs to the standard Marina rack. One of the benefits of this is that the steering coumn is at a more typical angle and not 'flat' as standard.
                  The Alfa engine gives out a theoretical 132bhp and the car has done more than 16000 miles using a standard Marina 3.7:1 rear axle. I agree with Hugh that, providing you don't try rubber burning standing starts at the lights, this axle should be ok.

Comment

I am in the middle of fitting the 1.6 MX5 NA engine, gearbox and all relevant/necessary electrics. Have made up an altered steering shaft with two additional UJs and a captive bearing to route round the MX5 Master Brake cylinder and intake manifold, mated to the MX5 pedal mounting brackets. Also deleted the servo as space in the engine bay is tight. Also have to source a custom pressurised fuel tank and custom exhaust manifold.

Originally posted by artrider50 View Post
                    Further to the discussion of engine options, and that RH don't have the new Rover engines, I now fancy the MX5 route. Has anyone actually measured up to make sure it will actually go in? Jon mentioned steering column issues, do you think these be overcome?

I've been offered the package below from a breaker on eBay, do we think it sounds reasonable or might a whole scrap car work out cheaper?

1800cc Engine - ?550
                    Complete wiring loom and ECU unit - ?250
                    Air intake etc - FREE OF CHARGE
                    Gearbox - ?250
                    Propshaft - FREE OF CHARGE
                    any other bits you want within reason - FREE OF CHARGE
                    Clutch,brake cylinder etc - ?50
                    TOTAL ?1100

Comment

Consider the possibilities of using the Ford Puma 1.7 MHA/MHB engine mated to either a Ford gearbox or Mazda RX8 5 or 6 Speed box. It starts off at 125 BHP , but compared to the Zetec 2.0 is a lot lighter because it has both an Aluminium Block &Head with variable cam timing on the inlet. I have seen these fitted to Westfield's at Stoneleigh.
                      The torque is very impressive from 1500rpm where it generates 85% of its max torque.
                      It is a latter development to a Toyota 4AGE engine , as both were produced by Yamaha.
                      Superb fuel economy (43 mpg at 70 mph in a Puma), better using a Mazda 6 Speed . Currently Ford Puma's are available cheaply for most of the bits needed by buying a rusty example.
                      The exhaust will be on the steering side.
                      Whilst using standard cams exhaust mods and Airbox mods will bring it up to +140BHP.

With regards to considering uprating the rear axle if required .
                      Toyota made a strong rear axle with leaf springs which was fitted on the TE27/TE51 Corolla's, which could handle + 200BHP . So if the track width of the Marlin matches them then that could be a potentially good axle to use.

The important point here is the torque curve of the MHA Zetec, is like a diesel and you would never need to use many revs to propel the car quickly and very economically too.

If I was looking to change my Roadster's engine /gearbox & rear axle setup, then this would be the route I would consider taking, especially as the Ford Puma's fuel consumption figures are far more frugal than the Mazda MX5's.

Futhermore, your insurance would also be cheaper than using the 2.0 Zetec as this MHA 1.7 engine would keep your Marlin in the under 2 litre catergory.
                      Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 19-06-20, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I looked for a 1.7 Puma engine and they are pretty rare. A standard 1.6 Sigma Zetec SE (Focus, Fiesta) will give similar characteristics and are just as tuneable, light and give good economy. Thats the one I leaning towards.
                        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

The Puma 1.7 is vastly superior because of it's variable inlet cam timing. I have driven both the 1.6 and 1.7 engine's Pumas. The 1.7 with a Turbo fitted on standard cams gives 244 BHP.
                          They are currently available by buying the complete car. You can then sell off unwanted parts to recover some of your outlay. As a minimum you will need the wiring harness and ECU from it.
                          The cost to buy a rusty Puma with a good engine can be £150-£500.

I am certain because of the fact the engine's light weight and flat torque curve that fitted in standard spec with 125 BHP will prove to be sufficient as it is, in a Roadster.

The latter Duratec 1.6 engine (TI VCT) has twin variable cam timing and is also a good option , however at the moment will be more costly than the 1.7.
                          Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 19-06-20, 11:49 PM.

Comment

We had a brand new Puma 1.7 [the only new car we've ever had] and have to agree . It was an absolute cracker of an engine but according to some reports expensive to produce , hence never carried over into other Ford models

Comment

I had 2 Pumas. Enjoyed them both, reasonably fast, nimble. I later got a Fiesta ST (2.0 2006) but thought the Pumas were better.

Comment

Working...
                              X