Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Sportster steering rack

1. #1 Sportster steering rack 
    forum contributor
    Hello to all and season’s greetings.
    Please could someone advise me.
    Due to rust I am thinking about fitting a new steering rack, but I understand that the rack on a Sportster was specially made for the model, so a standard Sierra rack would be different. Please could anyone tell me what the difference is and could I make a standard rack fit. Thanks in advance. Steve.

2. #2 Re: Sportster steering rack 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Steve. I managed to adapt a standard Sierra rack to fit.The outer case needs to be shortened and sleeved and the main rack itself needs shortening also. From memory the Sportster rack has a 20mm dia bar and the Sierra is 25mm. My contact number is in Pitstop (Peak District meet) should you require more info.Regards David

3. #3 Re: Sportster steering rack 
    forum contributor
    Hello David,
    Thanks for your reply, now I have an idea of the alteration required I think that would be beyond my abilities. For now I will clean up the case fit new track rods, track rod ends and gaiters and refit. It works ok but could look better. Regards Steve.