Roadster carburettor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster carburettor

Hi, I have just recent bought a roadster set up for trials. It’s a 2l twin cam fiat engine with Solex C32 EIES 45 twin choke carburettor ( I think )
    the throttle linkage doesn’t work very well as it locks out past centre and doesn’t allow full revs.
    does anyone have some information on how the throttle linkage is supposed to be or a photo or similar ?

thanks in anticipation

John

Re: Roadster carburettor

Hi John
    Are you able to add some photos of the carb and linkage set up currently on the car ?
    This is more likely to enable members to provide you with advice and a possible solution.

Comment

Thanks for your guidance, here are a couple of photos that are close up with linkage.

FF64F9CF-B1FE-495A-97BB-9A1EAEB61BDC.jpeg

2C80C0A7-847E-4D86-A7D8-AA8F98B2D38B.jpeg

new to this I have been looking harder and researching and it seems to me that the original correct carb for the engine would be a Weber 32 ADFA?
      i am wondering if the linkage is to suit another carb but has been retained with the solex replacement.

John

Comment

Afraid to say that few roadsters were fitted with Fiat engines, many other specials would suit your search better.

You would probably do best searching forums for that engine, than a specific Marlin Roadster forum where 1.3/1.8/Triumph or Marina engines are far more common.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

May I suggest that you find out which car originally had your engine and then get a workshop manual for that car. Thus you will be able to see the operation of the linkage.
          Ps it took me some time to trace my Alfa Romeo engine to the correct car so that I could see how the linkage worked on the 2 twin choke Solex carbs it was fitted with.

Comment

Hi John

Unclear where the accelerator cable fits from your photos , however I note the horizontal threaded bar adjustment, with the nut backed off sitting above the inlet manifold.

if you adjust that, would it not help you achieve full throttle?

The 2L Fiat engine was definitely fitted to the Fiat 132 from saloon the late 70's, however iirc remember they had an auto choke.

The car was rear wheel drive with a 5 speed box and yellow plastic front cam belt cover. On a single carb gave approx 112BHP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_132

If you get stuck then I would make contact if it exists with the Fiat 132 owners club /forum.

Comment

Have you got a copy of the Haynes manual No.310 or Autodata one 305? That should be a help. I've got a 2l in my roadster but now has twin DelOrtos.
              Last edited by h_m_cumming; 27-12-19, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Solex C32 EIES 45 twin choke carburettor Fiat 124 coupe sport?
                Solex C32 EIES 45 twin choke carburettor.jpg

This picture filched from eBay:

Looks similar to yours. Both pictures are rather cropped. The seller is not sure of the donor either. It does look like your throttle lever has been re-welded at a different angle. Which could have caused problems.

It might be worth setting up a search on eBay to alert you to a similar carb for sale. The one above sold for about £30 delivered.
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by newtrialer View Post
                  Hi, I have just recent bought a roadster set up for trials. It’s a 2l twin cam fiat engine with Solex C32 EIES 45 twin choke carburettor ( I think )
                  the throttle linkage doesn’t work very well as it locks out past centre and doesn’t allow full revs.
                  does anyone have some information on how the throttle linkage is supposed to be or a photo or similar ?

thanks in anticipation

John
                  Maybe a silly question but have you checked at the pedal end of the linkage that there is sufficient clearance under the pedal to allow full throttle? Unlikely to be fouling the carpet in a trials car but a heavy right foot over a yump may have bent the pedal down. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                    Maybe a silly question but have you checked at the pedal end of the linkage that there is sufficient clearance under the pedal to allow full throttle? Unlikely to be fouling the carpet in a trials car but a heavy right foot over a yump may have bent the pedal down. Peter.

Thank you all so much for all of your help, brilliant to have all the combined knowledge input.

I have progressed to understand the engine is from a fiat 132. As has been suggested in this thread. But the head is from a lancia which the relevant models used Solex C34 EIES But the standard linkage is from below the inlet manifold and would not fit in roadster engine bay.
                    so someone has adapted the linkage to be above the rocker covers. That makes me think it must have either been working previously and something has bent or stretched. Or it has never been right, (doubt that very much. ) I have looked at pedal and cable range and it seems to be ok despite years of lead foot excercise ! the linkage at either end of adjustment either doesn’t open throttle fully or locks out, the first radial arm will need to be much longer ( greater radius) to push the link further within the same degree rotation.

I am thinking that a possible solution would be a Bell cam cable operator such as http://www.racingbeat.com/RX7-1986-1992/WeberIntake/16622.html

any further thoughts or input would be gratefully received.

thanks again.

john

Comment

Munual ordered. ! Thanks
                      J

Comment

If you have a Lancia carb and manifold fitted to a longitudinal engine then you will probably get fuel starvation on cornering

I went the other way around with a Fiat carb and manifold fitted to a transverse twin cam in my mini -
                        I can't remember which way but one direction of cornering starved the engine

Comment

Hi John, welcome to the MOC, it seems like you may be getting some good answers to your questions.

Could you please answer some of mine ?

For the Roadster archive it would be good to know which car you have bought, it's reg number and chassis (Marlin kit) number.

Rather than put information on a public forum you may prefer to either PM me, or use my email as in Pitstop magazine, and by
                          return I can hopefully give you some history on the car

B Rgds Dave Cunnington

Comment

Thanks for the tip, that could be a real issue for trialing. I will try and work out if it affects the car and report.

john

Comment

Hi John
                              What part of the uk are you in and which trialing club are you a member of ??

Comment

Working...
                              X