Soft top roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft top roof

I can see the soft top roof for Roadster has been discussed before but the links to suppliers / upholsterers are expired. Does anyone have a contact to make new soft top roofs ? Everyone I have contacted so far just want to supply standard after market hoods.
    I am in Gloucestershire but obviously happy to travel for a good reccomend.

Thanks

John

Re: Soft top roof

The original patterns are long gone.
    Your only choice is to go bespoke from a convenient trimmer, assuming you have the framework!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I started making my own last year, I have not quite finished it because other things got in the way so I have not accepted defeat yet.
      Check my roadster rebuild from Cornwall diary.
      In my view owning a kit car means give it a go.

Comment

Hi John, see my earlier post, "Recommendation for hood/seat repairs"
        If you've got the old one for a pattern I'm pretty sure he'd sort you out. He mainly does canal boat covers and seat. He's based near Chester.
        Gareth.

Comment

John

I used a company by Oxford for mine. All Wheel Trim at Whitney, not cheap, but I was very happy with the result.

Address: Unit H/Country Pk/Avenue Two, Witney OX28 4YD

Phone: 01993 776800

Comment

John - Please see https://wheelspin.info/marlin-roadster/ and then please Contact Me so I can keep my Register of Trials Marlins up to date. I am in Gloucestershire, so if you want to see how a Marlin hood should work, you have my email address from the website.

Comment

Witney is an awful lot closer to Gloucestershire [ just up the A40 ] than Chester ... [What happened to the coach trimmer from Gloucester/Cheltenham ? - 'Rouse' … I think was the name.]
              Last edited by marlin1984; 15-01-20, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The journey goes on, found a chap from Warwick, quoted £650 then viewed car and wanted £1100. Something to do with zip open door leaf panels.

so I am still looking, might have to get the sewing machine out !

john

Comment

Ouch that is a lot.
                  I started making my own, still not quite finished yet. Check out my Rebuild diary from Cornwall.
                  I started off with a cardboard template and also used what was left of the old one to give me an idea of it’s shape and how it’s stitched together. I did finished the zip in doors.
                  I have used some cheaper black canvas fabric which is supposed to be water proof but may upgrade when I have nothing else to do (probably never happen).
                  If you do go down this same route get yourself a heavy duty sewing machine as the fabric and flexible glass is quite thick.
                  Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

"The journey goes on, found a chap from Warwick, quoted £650 then viewed car and wanted £1100. Something to do with zip open door leaf panels. "

Sounds like an 'I don't want to do it.' price … Or he thought you looked smart and had money to burn.

Comment

Working...
                    X