Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Marlin trails car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Marlin trails car 
    forum contributor
    Hi there I'm looking to fit a 10cwt ital rear axle into my trails car and wondered if I should fit van rear springs to improve ground clearance or will it make it too stiff what has everyone else done please? Thanks Alex

2. #2 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    That’s really a question for the Trials boys.
    Bearing in mind that a Roadster is a lot lighter than a Morris Marina.

Do you know what your existing springs are, presumably but not certainly from the original donor, but was it a 1300, 1800, or an estate?

This document might help https://kvisit.com/S1Mb2AQ
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member AndrewKB's Avatar
    Springs are huge area of debate in the Marlin trials world, with no clear 'industry standard' (yet). Personally, if you have a set of van springs, I would fit them and worry about alternatives after you've done a few events. Lots of people have played-around with alternatives but there have been a lot of spring failures. I have van springs on my Marlin, and they are stiff, but I now think that the shock absorbers may have had-their-day and are contributing to the stiffness. Replacing them is a priority when there's a decent lull between events (too busy at the moment).

4. #4 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKB View Post
    Springs are huge area of debate in the Marlin trials world, with no clear 'industry standard' (yet). Personally, if you have a set of van springs, I would fit them and worry about alternatives after you've done a few events. Lots of people have played-around with alternatives but there have been a lot of spring failures. I have van springs on my Marlin, and they are stiff, but I now think that the shock absorbers may have had-their-day and are contributing to the stiffness. Replacing them is a priority when there's a decent lull between events (too busy at the moment).
    Maybe - but "had-their-day" shocks normally get weaker/more feeble with wear rather than stiffer … ?

5. #5 Re: Marlin trails car 
    Some years ago now I had some Spax adjustables on my Mk 2 Cortina. They failed as they became progressively harder and although the adjuster screws would turn they wouldn't soften up the ride. Peter.

6. #6 Re: Marlin trails car 
    Quote Originally Posted by greyV8pete View Post
    Some years ago now I had some Spax adjustables on my Mk 2 Cortina. They failed as they became progressively harder and although the adjuster screws would turn they wouldn't soften up the ride. Peter.
    ??? I did say "normally" because that has always been my experience - maybe Spax are constructed differently to nearly every other make ?

Have had Spax adjusting screws go solid though [thanks to exposure to water].
    Last edited by marlin1984; 16-01-2020 at 10:00 PM.

7. #7 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member AndrewKB's Avatar
    PS - See https://wheelspin.info/marlin-roadster/ and then please Contact Me so I can keep my Register of Trials Marlins up to date.

8. #8 Re: Marlin trails car 
    10cwt Marina or Ital van axles are now pretty rare. I counted myself very lucky to find an [unidentified] one on fleabay a couple of months ago. Key identifier was the cast iron [therefore slightly rusty] diff housing - standard ones are alloy. Good luck.

Steve Green may have a couple back in England but as he's now in Spain access is extremely difficult.
    Last edited by marlin1984; 12-01-2020 at 11:41 PM.

9. #9 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin1984 View Post
    Steve Green may have a couple back in England but as he's now in Spain access is extremely difficult.
    True, they are in the loft of my garage in the UK, but I rarely return and dragging them out and arranging postage/delivery when I have tenants there it would be quite an inconvenience, so for the sake of discussion, they do not exist.
    Should the consequences of Brexit or life mean I have to move back to the UK, they may become available, but don’t hold your breath.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

10. #10 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member boustrophedon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin1984 View Post
    10cwt Marina or Ital van axles are now pretty rare. I counted myself very lucky to find an [unidentified] one on fleabay a couple of months ago. Key identifier was the cast iron [therefore slightly rusty] diff housing - standard ones are alloy. Good luck.

Standard Marina, van and Ital diff housing were not ally they were cast iron.
    Formally DonSayers on here.