Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Marlin trails car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Marlin trails car 
    forum contributor
    both van and car axles look very similar from a cursory glance. and yes both have cast iron diffs. So just Count the bolts around the diff circumference . 8 equals standard, 10 equals the Stronger Van version.
    these axles are VERY similar to MGB versions which effectively only differ in width and mounting brackets - the hubs/drums etc can be retro fitted.
    Don

2. #12 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Above posts - just goes to prove you should not believe everything you are told by an 'expert' - He said 'only 10 cwt low-ratio diffs were CI '... APOLOGIES.

So I was very lucky in ending up with a van axle ?

On similar subject of very duff info. on internet > beware the MGB site that states >"... In practice Gold Seal engines have an 'E' or 'N' suffix letter as in 48G733E nnnnnn." - NO. Mine does not.
    Marlin engine number digits covered.JPG

Also beware the assertive statement '... all [Gold Seal] engines had the core-plug recesses bored deeper to accept the cup-type plugs instead of the flat type' - NO. Mine does not, it still has the 'flat type'.
    Last edited by marlin1984; Today at 02:10 AM.

3. #13 Re: Marlin trails car 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin1984 View Post
    Above posts - just goes to prove you should not believe everything you are told by an 'expert' - He said 'only 10 cwt low-ratio diffs were CI '... APOLOGIES.

So I was very lucky in ending up with a van axle ?

On similar subject of very duff info. on internet > beware the MGB site that states >"... In practice Gold Seal engines have an 'E' or 'N' suffix letter as in 48G733E nnnnnn." - NO. Mine does not.

Also beware the assertive statement '... all [Gold Seal] engines had the core-plug recesses bored deeper to accept the cup-type plugs instead of the flat type' - NO. Mine does not, it still has the 'flat type'.
    There are lots of experts, anything that you read on the Internet should be treated as guidance, not as gospel. When it’s in print from a verifiable source, it’s more accurate than the bible!

I try to verify everything I publish personally, but still mistakes slip through.

Its when the experts are also salesmen, especially on eBay, that the mis-truths begin to multiply.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.