Brake master cylinder identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake master cylinder identification

Could someone identify my master cylinder?
    My Berlinetta is Cortina based and I assumed the servo and master cylinder also. Unfortunately the one I bought for replacement has different mounting screw distance.
    The actually fitted is about 82mm and the new one is 62mm

Any ideas about the type or P/N are welcome.
    Attached Files

Re: Brake master cylinder identification

Methinks there were two manufacturers of Cortina brake master cylinder/servo. One was Girling and the other Ate/Bendix. They used different mounting bolt centres but for the life of me can't remember which was which. Hopefully one of the Berli experts can impart more info.

Comment

Should have manufacturers make somewhere on cylinder. If its a Girling it MIGHT have the number 74660294 on the body.
      Might have a bit more info if one of my contacts gets back to me.

Comment

Thank you Dogoncrazy.
        Yes it is the Girling with exactly this number you mentioned. It was covered under a thick layer/s of paint.
        There is an offer on ebay but I would prefer to buy one locally. It seems that Bendix and ATE systems are about 60-62 mm (motomobil.de) and Girling 81 mm.
        I wonder if TRW system (whatever it is) will be compatible with my servo. According to description the "A.B.S. 41743" has the right distance and designed for Taunus/Cortina.
        I can't find any cross reference for he Girling number.

Comment

I have come up with the following -
          Ebay item number 74201166867
          Ebay item number 402022957277

According to my source the girling part number is 4005226 which cross references to Delphi 36197.
          Hope that's of some use to you but please understand I'm getting info from another party. The first ebay item would appear to be correct for your application but is not cheap.
          Regards Alan

Comment

Thanks again Alan,
            I've found it even more expensive on ebay based on the body number - item 274201166867.
            Just ordered A.B.S. 41743 (locally in Poland) which cross references to Delphi 36200 which cross references to both LPR 1501 and LPR 1507.
            The LPR 1501 cross references to Delphi 36197.... It is like using google translator to translate a text from English into French then into German and then into English again.

I will let you and others know if it fits well once received.

Comment

Thank you Alan for the valuable information.

The part arrived and it does fit. And it also works well. Just as reference for those who are looking for replacement of their girling master cylinder - I have used the Polish version of the German (at least Berlin located) company

So previously described chain of cross references seems to be OK.

Comment

I generally use autodoc here in france, reasonably priced cf French stuff, and rapid delivery from their hq in germany!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                  I generally use autodoc here in france, reasonably priced cf French stuff, and rapid delivery from their hq in germany!
                  without wanting to get too Political, rapid delivery from Germany to non EU countries will, according to Gove, cease to be as rapid and cheap to the UK next year!
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

accepted, but i'm a la frog!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                      accepted, but i'm a la frog!!
                      And I am in Spain.
                      Hopefully those in the UK can get used to it!
                      Last edited by stevejgreen; 19-02-20, 10:11 AM.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The master cylinder on mine went. It’s off a mk3 Cortina. I went on forums and found out that a 3 series Land Rover is the same. Bought one for £31 delivered. Only difference is one of the pipe screws are different but as I am replacing the pipes I will change over the ends. Sorted. Cheers.

Comment

I know it is a risk but having found this forum item elsewhere, have bought a land rover master cylinder hoping it will do the job on my berlinetta . He bought one and seems to fit on his cortina well. Hoping i will have he same luck. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X