Steering column Universal Joint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column Universal Joint.

I have noticed play in my steering and have traced it down to the UJ where it clamps to the rack at the front end.
    Any ideas how to:-
    1. Remove from vehicle (Cabrio with scorpio motor)
    2. Replace, if so are there any spares anywhere?
    3. Repair.
    Many thanks.

Re: Steering column Universal Joint.

The upper end of the shaft is triangulated to fit a standard Ford Sierra steering joint [ engine side of the bulkhead] So you undo the two bolts securing the plate , the lower universal joint should slide off the steering rack once you have removed the bolt.
    The lower u/j may or may not be on a splined shaft [I have seen them welded] If splined it's a piece of cake, if welded then potentially a new shaft being made whilst retaining the upper triangulated portion.
    I THINK the lower u/j was from something like a Triumph 2000. Splined shafts in various lengths can be had from the likes of Car Builder Solutions.

Comment

That’s very helpful. Thank you.

Comment

Thinks. Would the uj not be off a Ford (Sierra)? To match the spline. It is a marlin supplied rack which I assumed to be ford.

Comment

ISTR my Hunter rack was either Sierra or Scorpio - I was looking to replace it with the
          appropriate Ford power steering rack but there was insufficient room to fit one !
          Last edited by dcunn; 23-01-20, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Rack is from Sierra, but you have me wondering on the u/j . I may be mixing things up with the Roadster.
            Unfortunately I don't have in my possession the build manual as that went with the Cabrio on it's sale.

Comment

From the workshop manual :
              STEERING and SUSPENSION

Utilises standard Sierra components.
              It comprises a collapsible column linked via a double universally jointed shaft to the standard rack. This has been rotated with the top towards the front to improve the angle of operation of the lower universal joint.

NB Marlin made and supplied the steering extension shaft

+++++++++++++++++++++
              The original (typed) build manual Says the u/j is Leyland Part no 145377 or Brown Brothers Part no PSSC 1113…but I wonder, is this the top or bottom one ?

++++++++++++++++++++++

Pics are from the later build manual
              Attached Files

Comment

Well done DC for finding that . It is indeed the same as used on Triumph 2000 and can be had from Rimmer Bros or according to an old post on here David Manners Jaguar

Comment

Pitstop, October / November 2007 contains an article by David Ison entitled "Cabrio Steering Repair". This can also be read in the Cabrio Technical Tips section. It's well worth a read as it is comprehensive and includes photographs.

Comment

Steering column UJ’s seem to be one of the most neglected, though vital, part of a car that deserves more careful maintenance.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I wonder how long they last before showing any sign of play. I did circa 30000 miles in my first roadster and approx. same in a Cabrio and never had any issues . All I ever did was give them the occasional squirt from oil can and check security of bolts.

Comment

What a great response. Thank you guys. Couldn’t do without you. (Although it’s my first question in 14 years!!)

Comment

How do I access Technical tips?. Sadly can't find my Pitstop of that date.

Comment

Originally posted by margomarlin View Post
                            How do I access Technical tips?. Sadly can't find my Pitstop of that date.
                            The November/December 2007 Pitstop can be found here:

But you have to be a member to access it. I notice that the system does not think you are a member. If you have recently paid your subscription you should contact the membership secretary as shown in Pitstop.
                            Paul

Comment

See also the item on Page 12 of the Feb/March 08 issue of Pitstop
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X