Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Evans Waterless Coolant

1. #1 Evans Waterless Coolant 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    After 30 years of use, I've decided to upgrade the coolant system on my pinto engined Berlinetta.
    I'll be using silicon hoses and probably some stainless pipe (to route under exhaust to heater matrix)
    Has anybody filled thier systems with Evans Waterless Coolant?
    What's the recommendation?
    All part of getting on road for the summer, well on track.

2. #2 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant 
    A word of caution. Some waterless coolants are flammable and are banned in motorsport for this reason.

3. #3 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

4. #4 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant 
    forum contributor
    I too looked at this for my pinto engine. I spoke directly to Evans, they have tested it and their advice is blunt: "It is not suitable for the pinto engine". It is down to reduced cylinder head cooling because of the effect on the coolant flow caused by the high viscosity of their coolant and the complexity of the pinto cylinder head waterways.

Dave
    Last edited by agent leman; 01-02-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: omission of "reduced"

5. #5 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant 
    Thanks for the replies and some useful advise.
    Looks like I'll be sticking with ethylene glycol antifreeze.
    Been OK for last 30 years, so should be fine for the next 30.

6. #6 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member boustrophedon's Avatar
    Evans waterless coolant is mixed glycols. Water is by far the best actual coolant short of liquid metals, this comes about because it has low viscosity, high thermal conductivity, and a high heat capacity. Anything you add to water will reduce its coolant effectiveness.

Antifreeze despite being sometimes referred to as "coolant" is no such thing; it has two jobs, one is to stop the coolant freezing and the second is to contain corrosion inhibitors that prevent corrosion in the engine block and radiator.

I do not know if so called waterless coolants contain these corrosion inhibitors, I suspect not, hence the need to remove all the water from the system and why they say you don't need to change the coolant regularly. The inhibitors are expensive compared to glycols and they get used up with engine use, this is why you should change your coolant regularly, particularly with aluminium radiators and engine blocks.
    Formally DonSayers on here.