Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio engine mounts zetec ST170

Good evening all,
    I suspect that this is a real simple question but various forums and general Google-fu have yet to enlighten me.

How do I mount an ST170 engine in a Cabrio? I don't need mm-specific dimensions but just a general heads up on how many, where, and general shape.

Any photos always deeply appreciated.

Also, see image. Why is my anti-roll bar only vaguely attached to the chassis? Looks like there should be a cross member or sub frame there? Perhaps this may answer the engine mouth question too...20200210_182037.jpg

Re: Cabrio engine mounts zetec ST170

Burton do this engine mount kit for the zetec.

Comment

I used plates like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143522275248 and modified the existing mounts to fit. Got somebody else to do the welding as I was not sure if the job I could do was good enough.
      Its a bit hard to tell from your photo, but the anti roll bar is (usually) held by two U shaped brackets that bolt onto the chassis rail, so from what I can see your fitting looks OK. You might want to check that the ST170 sump will clear the anti-roll bar. My RWD Omex Zetec engine had a raceline low profile sump.
      You will probably need a water rail to move the location of the thermostat which on Zetec engines is on the back face of the engine block.

Comment

Originally posted by kieran78 View Post
        ... Why is my anti-roll bar only vaguely attached to the chassis? Looks like there should be a cross member or sub frame there?...
        The Cabrio relies on the strength of the Anti Roll Bar (ARB) for cross bracing. Some owners have replaced the Anti Roll Bar (ARB) with compression struts. This can cause problems. Although your car does not have compression struts you should check your ARB mounting for soundness as described in the following threads. It is easy to check. There are a number of pictures for comparison with your set up too.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
          The Cabrio relies on the strength of the Anti Roll Bar (ARB) for cross bracing...

Paul
          That is a horrible oversimplification!

Marlin chassis’ are very strong. They are able to take big engines and can be used in punishing motorsport. The chassis is made of strong box sections with much thicker steel than the Sierra prototypes. It is well cross braced. Something like 5 cars of the hundreds produced have shown a problem around the ARB mounting. The ARB does brace the mounting plates.
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X