Side quarter window.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side quarter window.

Hi folks. I need to replace the shattered o/s rear quarter glass. I am trying to remove the n/s so I can take it to a glazers to get one cut to the exact shape. I take it that they are only held in by the mastic round them? I have been cutting the old mastic out but can’t seem to get the glass out. Anybody replaced these before ?

Thanks

Re: Side quarter window.

They are held in with mastic/silicon only.

Comment

Am I correct to assume you mean the rear half moon door glass on a Berlinetta? If so, it is held only by a flat strip of rubber which folds around the glass as it is pushed into the channel. Of course, a previous builder may have done something different, but the rubber strip is the correct way.
      Last edited by scott h; 13-02-20, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott, a lot of us found the rubber strip did not do the job very well ( glass working loose and sitting at the wrong angle or in some cases completely adrift and smashed ) so silicone became the fix of the day. I have the rubber strip fitted but all secured with a bead of sealant. Danny

Comment

There is no rubber in it just clear and white silicon. I need to remove the whole unbroken unit so it can be copied at a glaziers to replace the other side that’s smashed. Unless there is glass units available ?? It’s proving a nightmare to get out as can’t get at the silicon on the leading edge of the glass. If I break this then I really am in s**t street. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by twinstacks View Post
            There is no rubber in it just clear and white silicon. I need to remove the whole unbroken unit so it can be copied at a glaziers to replace the other side that’s smashed. Unless there is glass units available ?? It’s proving a nightmare to get out as can’t get at the silicon on the leading edge of the glass. If I break this then I really am in s**t street. Cheers.
            Perhaps you could make a template by tracing round the good one still in place. Then make a hardboard template to check in the missing side before you get the glass cut?

Comment

Yes sounds like a plan. Will do that too just incase I break this one. The joys eh.

Comment

There are solvents that dissolve silicone. Check your local DIY store or ebay. Not sure how they would affect the aluminum door though.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                  There are solvents that dissolve silicone. Check your local DIY store or ebay. Not sure how they would affect the aluminum door though.
                  Unless you have a silicone solvent that does not spoil paintwork, a few new craft knife blades are your best option, taken very slowly.
                  its doubtful that you would know the exact composition of the sealant used by the installer, some are extremely resistant to chemical attack as you might expect.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Do you know any guitarists?
                    A thin string slipped behind the end of the class and effectively used a bit like a garotte.
                    Just make a couple of T handles out of a bit of broomstick or similar to save your fingers
                    Best Wishes
                    Bill Williams
                    Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

Thanks again guys. Will have another go at it in next few days when I am off. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by B_Williams View Post
                        Do you know any guitarists?
                        Do you know any welders?

I have had some success with MIG welding wire in the past. Wire that has passed through the machine is best. The machine grips the wire and causes slight serrations. Use about 305mm (1 foot) of 0.4 mm (widgy) wire. Wrap the ends around a couple of screwdrivers and use a sawing action. Take frequent breaks drink plenty of tea and tape up the swear jar (cuss bank).
                        Paul

Comment

Not sure how I would get the wire under the glass as it’s sitting in a well type channel on rear quarter. Thanks tho.

Comment

Not sure how I would get the wire under the glass as it’s sitting in a well type channel on rear quarter. Thanks tho.
                            Getting started is the hardest part. The rest is simply very, very, very hard.
                            Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X