Marina half shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina half shaft removal

I need to remove the half shafts from a Marina 1700 axle to get the diff out. I think the wheel carriers have been locktited to the shafts, (hard blue stuff under the nuts). With my homemade, 7-ton jack puller bending, I hit it to try and shock it and the shaft and bearing came out complete with the backplate. Same the other side. Ok, now I can get the diff out, great! But I want to put the diff in the axle that's in the car. Questions: Do I expect the same performance again or do I just go for disconnecting the brakes and drag the whole shaft out c/w bearing and backplate? I have a slide hammer that will fit the wheel carrier. Not being able to find my Haynes manual is not helping.

Re: Marina half shaft removal

Of all places, your Haynes manual can be found https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/742...le-pdf-3-6-meg assuming I got the link right.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve, You got the link right but it is in your private place. Never mind I will find mine today. Thanks for the thought though.
      Dave

Comment

You can take a man to a library, but you can’t make them read.

Private? Not really if you want information, all you have to do is ask, and play nicely.

Others do not have to wait for you to find yours.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 18-03-20, 09:32 AM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Hi Steve, I found my manual. You can take a man to the library but you can't make him read! But when a man goes to the library and finds it locked, with a notice saying private, ask the librarian for the key, the man did not want to inconvenience the librarian.

Cheers Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            Hi Steve, I found my manual. You can take a man to the library but you can't make him read! But when a man goes to the library and finds it locked, with a notice saying private, ask the librarian for the key, the man did not want to inconvenience the librarian.

Cheers Dave.
            Part of the reason for sections of my library appearing closed is exclusive to the actions of the MOC itself.

Absolutely, but if you steadfastly refuse to look, when others do, I can only think that you are being wilfully awkward.

For members of the library, which is free, they can browse it’s contents 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year, no or overnight, Christmas or seasonal closures, the librarian is generally on call 24/7 and is able to willingly supply a direct link to the required document and alternatives as required to expand a readers knowledge further often based on the librarians personal experience, rather than just a reference book.

What I find rewarding and satisfying is that 1000+ documents are downloaded from the library each and every month, clearly my unpaid efforts are appreciated by many, rejected by the few, cutting ones nose to spite ones face is patently ridiculous.

Rather than hold a grudge, and openly criticise, something that certain MOC members do regularly, I will continue to offer you access to parts of my library that I think will assist you.

I hope that you resolve your issues.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Steve, I am not holding a grudge or criticizing, I just did not want to put you to any inconvenience. I have used 'keep and share' many times. This time it said Access denied contact Steve for permission. I found my manual so did not need to bother you. Sorry if you got the wrong impression.
              Dave

Comment

Dave,You dont need to split the hub all you need to do is disconnect the brake lines and handbrake cable then undo the four back plate bolts put the wheel back on loose and use it like a slide hammer and pull the whole assembly out of the axle.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Cheers Ben, that's what I thought but it seemed just too easy. Dig out the slide hammer!

Comment

Steve, I am not holding a grudge or criticizing, I just did not want to put you to any inconvenience. I have used 'keep and share' many times. This time it said Access denied contact Steve for permission. I found my manual so did not need to bother you. Sorry if you got the wrong impression.
                    Dave
                    I went to the trouble of providing you with a link to the document you were searching for, it you would rather that I no longer go to the trouble of helping you, that’s fine, but I will still help others.

What you have shown clearly is hypocrisy. I have changed very few access settings since I started Keepandshare.

At one time you were more than happy to make use of the free facility that I provided, as I recall without returning the compliment, yet now, presumably because your registration with keepandshare share has expired due to lack of use, you no longer have the same privileges.

Keepandshare will have sent out a reminder email, if you ignored it or passed it over then the changes in your Keepandshare account, are entirely at your discretion.

One of the reasons why I robustly refute criticism of Keepandshare is that all the evidence I’d that it’s content is appreciated, I guess that you once appreciated it too, so why be so negative now?

When people raise criticisms, mostly unjustified, with limited or no understanding, I like to correct them, because the information that I provide is still valid and accurate, I see no benefit at all, in attempts to drive people away from Keepandshare, a resource that over 100 registered Roadster owners benefit from.

Invariably when I post a link, and people gripe about it, more visitors are attracted, so thanks for giving me the platform to further publicise Keepandshare.

Finally, as this virus continues to bite into what was normal society, the provision of documents and source material will become more important for the hobby’s survival, especially as face to face meetings get postponed or cancelled.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

This is why I no longer bother with this forum.
                      Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

What is the reason? My apparent ingratitude or what?

Comment

What is the reason? My apparent ingratitude or what?
                          No mate I am not having a go at you, not at all. I having a go at Mr Keepandshare with his lots of "useful" stuff behind a firewall that you have to go groveling to to get access. I having a go at how many times this same tired old argument occurs with the same player.

I used to value Mr Green's contributions on here and on the old site, but having taken a few years off I come back and get shouted at for asking questions. He even locked a thread I replied to because he didn't want to talk about it any more. Sheesh.

If it is of any help I have a Leyland Operations Manual for the Marina and if there is anything you want a copy of I am more than happy to let you have a copy of the relevant pages.
                          Last edited by boustrophedon; 30-03-20, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boustrophedon View Post
                            No mate I am not having a go at you, not at all. I having a go at Mr Keepandshare with his lots of "useful" stuff behind a firewall that you have to go groveling to to get access. I having a go at how many times this same tired old argument occurs with the same player.

I used to value Mr Green's contributions on here and on the old site, but having taken a few years off I come back and get shouted at for asking questions. He even locked a thread I replied to because he didn't want to talk about it any more. Sheesh.

If it is of any help I have a Leyland Operations Manual for the Marina and if there is anything you want a copy of I am more than happy to let you have a copy of the relevant pages.
                            So much misunderstanding.

There is no firewall there never has been. I don’t think you know what a firewall is?

I explained why I locked a thread, the project had run its course, reached the end of its natural life I would only repeat myself, again and agin to no benefit for anyone. I only used a forum tool, available to anyone who starts a new thread. Even you can do that.

You only have to register with Keepandshare once to have access to far more than the manual you reference.

sheesh.

Over 1000 documents downloaded each month tells me that you are incorrect.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Sorry not interested. You needn't have bothered. Your only reason to be here is to rehash old arguments. You are not helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X