Picture sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture sizes

Hey guys, I've just been talking with Geoff Grumble and he says that at the moment we are getting close to capacity limits
    on the site, and with current scenario we don't know when/if we can get more.

So just a word, please ensure that any pics you put up are, say, 65kb or thereabouts and we will hopefully not bust the limit

Should you have difficulty with resizing pics, please call me and I will help you

Regards and best wishes to all - stay safe and well

DC
    Last edited by dcunn; 31-03-20, 01:18 PM.

Re: Picture sizes

Is there any way to shrink some of the existing images uploaded to the site? For example, whenever I post an eBay sale I include a photo for info. No idea what size they are but the historic ones could be resized without the loss of any info crucial to Members.

Comment

Just to add to DC's post, the problem is that we are exceeding the authorised storage capacity we have available on the server thats currently used for our website. There are plans to upgrade the website to solve this problem but, under the current circumstances, I can't be sure when this will happen. In the meantime, anything you can do such as downsizing photos and minimising the number of them put up will help. As he has already mentioned, Dave Cunnington will help and advise where he can.

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe.

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff.

Jon, a great idea however it would take forever to locate, delete, resize and re upload pictures into the threads, but if anyone wants to do so they are welcome (and thank you !)

I cannot do it as the poster is the only person who can edit their own posts

As I see it, there is no immediate problem, we are just anticipating something which may have to be done in the near future

As a temporary measure if required to free up space, I could take down the dashboard pics from the Gallery and then reinstate them at a later date

If anyone wants to talk about resizing, by all means either PM or use my email as in Pitstop

Rgds DC
        Last edited by dcunn; 31-03-20, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I use this one, works a treat.
          Future versions of Image Resizer for Windows will be available as part of the Microsoft PowerToys.

Comment

It just so happens that I have some spare time and the weather is not looking great for working on the Green Machine.

Comment

I have an android tablet, does anyone have any recommendations?

Adrian

Comment

Just as well that my 4gb of documents is safe on Keepandshare, the vast majority of which is PDF files.

I can’t understand why there should be a problem, apart from a financial one and that, in the grand scheme of things cannot be that extreme compared to the cost of producing Pitstop.

Its a question of what value you put on information availability, to me, priceless.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

As a way of securing the site and shrinking the current used storage; can I suggest that the 'Photo Galleries' section might be (perhaps temporarily) removed to free up space? It might not be much - but every little counts; at least perhaps until a better arrangement can be found for the size of the site..? All the pictures can be safely stored on another medium meanwhile...

I see there's even a video gallery - these files will be large and would definitely release storage space...

Comment

A good thought, and one that has been discussed at length

Many members and visitors seem to enjoy the Gallery, which is why I have spent many hours selecting,
                    resizing and putting up the pictures - and it's good for the world to see what the cars look like.

The originals are all stored in the Archive, so removing the Gallery wouldn't be a problem

For now however they will both remain, at least until we see the way ahead for the site

Thank you Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                      A good thought, and one that has been discussed at length

Many members and visitors seem to enjoy the Gallery, which is why I have spent many hours selecting,
                      resizing and putting up the pictures - and it's good for the world to see what the cars look like.

The originals are all stored in the Archive, so removing the Gallery wouldn't be a problem

For now however they will both remain, at least until we see the way ahead for the site

Thank you Rgds DC
                      What exactly is the blockage here, new storage can generally be bought quickly and easily?
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        What exactly is the blockage here, new storage can generally be bought quickly and easily?
                        I don’t know about the web site but I just ordered up a new disk and had my order cancelled immediately because of supply problems. Very annoying! I suspect the main problem is people working from home can’t make the physical changes.
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                          I don’t know about the web site but I just ordered up a new disk and had my order cancelled immediately because of supply problems. Very annoying! I suspect the main problem is people working from home can’t make the physical changes.
                          Paul
                          So people working from home is the problem that the MOC is facing?
                          So is this a hardware issue, that the MOC need to go out and buy a physical hard drive, or is this a provider issue where we need more space on our host server, which should be dead easy unless the MOC is using a tin pot organisation.

Thanks for a Non answer that brings no further understanding and probably conceals the real answer. You should have been a Tory politician!
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I have bumped this as I would still like a recommendation as I would like to help whatever the problem is.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                            I have an android tablet, does anyone have any recommendations?

Adrian

Comment

Just a thought. I have often wondered how much space is taken up on servers (and on all forums, not just this one) by people clicking on “reply with quote”. As a result the previous say six photos of someones progress are saved again but often with just the one well deserved comment or praise. Surely a simple reply such as “Well done”! Or “Excellent work”! would be sufficient? As I said, just a thought. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X