Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picture sizes

1. #1 Picture sizes 
    Hey guys, I've just been talking with Geoff Grumble and he says that at the moment we are getting close to capacity limits
    on the site, and with current scenario we don't know when/if we can get more.

So just a word, please ensure that any pics you put up are, say, 65kb or thereabouts and we will hopefully not bust the limit

Should you have difficulty with resizing pics, please call me and I will help you

Regards and best wishes to all - stay safe and well

DC
    Last edited by dcunn; 31-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.

2. #2 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar
    Is there any way to shrink some of the existing images uploaded to the site? For example, whenever I post an eBay sale I include a photo for info. No idea what size they are but the historic ones could be resized without the loss of any info crucial to Members.

3. #3 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member
    Just to add to DC's post, the problem is that we are exceeding the authorised storage capacity we have available on the server thats currently used for our website. There are plans to upgrade the website to solve this problem but, under the current circumstances, I can't be sure when this will happen. In the meantime, anything you can do such as downsizing photos and minimising the number of them put up will help. As he has already mentioned, Dave Cunnington will help and advise where he can.

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe.

Geoff

4. #4 Re: Picture sizes 
    Thanks Geoff.

Jon, a great idea however it would take forever to locate, delete, resize and re upload pictures into the threads, but if anyone wants to do so they are welcome (and thank you !)

I cannot do it as the poster is the only person who can edit their own posts

As I see it, there is no immediate problem, we are just anticipating something which may have to be done in the near future

As a temporary measure if required to free up space, I could take down the dashboard pics from the Gallery and then reinstate them at a later date

If anyone wants to talk about resizing, by all means either PM or use my email as in Pitstop

Rgds DC
    Last edited by dcunn; 31-03-2020 at 09:39 PM.

5. #5 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member
    I use this one, works a treat.
    http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

6. #6 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar
    It just so happens that I have some spare time and the weather is not looking great for working on the Green Machine.

7. #7 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    I have an android tablet, does anyone have any recommendations?

Adrian

8. #8 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Just as well that my 4gb of documents is safe on Keepandshare, the vast majority of which is PDF files.

I can’t understand why there should be a problem, apart from a financial one and that, in the grand scheme of things cannot be that extreme compared to the cost of producing Pitstop.

Its a question of what value you put on information availability, to me, priceless.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

9. #9 Re: Picture sizes 
    club member Club Member element's Avatar
    As a way of securing the site and shrinking the current used storage; can I suggest that the 'Photo Galleries' section might be (perhaps temporarily) removed to free up space? It might not be much - but every little counts; at least perhaps until a better arrangement can be found for the size of the site..? All the pictures can be safely stored on another medium meanwhile...

I see there's even a video gallery - these files will be large and would definitely release storage space...
    2002 Marina based LWB Roadster with Fiat 2.0 TC engine & box

10. #10 Re: Picture sizes 
    A good thought, and one that has been discussed at length

Many members and visitors seem to enjoy the Gallery, which is why I have spent many hours selecting,
    resizing and putting up the pictures - and it's good for the world to see what the cars look like.

The originals are all stored in the Archive, so removing the Gallery wouldn't be a problem

For now however they will both remain, at least until we see the way ahead for the site

Thank you Rgds DC