Marlin bmw 320 kit car 1998 - to be auctioned for sale by auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin bmw 320 kit car 1998 - to be auctioned for sale by auction

On Car & Classic now, an unusual car that maybe based on a Sportster?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1217705

Some text...

"This car is a one-off and was bought from the original designer/builder who had a close connection to Marlin. In the mid-late ‘90s Marlin were looking to produce a new model based around a BMW. This vehicle was conceived as a contender for that role. Sadly before the car was completed it became apparent that Marlin were going to favour a different design. Consequently, interest in the project was lost and the vendor acquired it in 1999 as an unfinished rolling chassis including the donor BMW320 engine.
    "

£2,900 AUCTION ESTIMATE
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Marlin bmw 320 kit car 1998 - to be auctioned for sale by auction

Wow, is that ever a unique and fantastic looking car.

Good luck to whoever buys it

Comment

Agreed DC, quite fancy it myself, unfortunately it doesn't seem to show how you can link to the appropriate auction......
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks Jon,

Much appreciated. Looks even better in the auction pictures.
          2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

I wonder if this is the 'prototype' for the Sportster . Story was that Marlin wasn't happy with the frontal aspect and came up with what we see now.
            The original designer [something to do with yachts?] then took Marlin to court I believe as he claimed the design was his.
            Anyone able to verify this tale?

Is the auction actually going to take place under the circumstances? It's very tempting!!!!!

Comment

"Is the auction actually going to take place under the circumstances? It's very tempting!!!!! "

Oh no, a MOC bidding war .....

Comment

Their web site says they are closed for 3 weeks.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Does this look familiar ?

Kit Cars International May 1996
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes Alan you are correct. I travelled to Poole back in the day to look at this car in an unfinished condition. The builder/ designer John ( I cant find paper work with his surname just yet) but builder of ocean going yachts, wanted to sell after his split with Marlin. I talked with him at his home and also at Exeter show. Well done D.C. above. The above and the description on the Auction tells a story.

Comment

Nice going DC on finding that!

Comment

Working...
                      X