Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio rear light covers.

Hi,
    Is it possible to get the polished rear light trims. Marlin used to supply them.
    Kind regards
    Mike.

Re: Cabrio rear light covers.

Or you could get rid of the nasty lights and do this https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...D-rear-lights/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Cole View Post
      Hi,
      Is it possible to get the polished rear light trims. Marlin used to supply them.
      Kind regards
      Mike.
      I made my own from thin stainless. At first I tried to weld the top curved part to a back plate, but the steel was too thin and the heat warped it. So then I made them from one piece of cardboard, folded along the top and small tabs on the end of the backplate to stick to the curved part. Then cut the shape from the stainless, folded it then polished it.
      Last edited by scott h; 03-04-20, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Hi,
        Thank you both for your suggestions, some work for me to get on with during the current crisis.
        Stay safe all.
        Kind regards
        Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
          I made my own from thin stainless. At first I tried to weld the top curved part to a back plate, but the steel was too thin and the heat warped it. So then I made them from one piece of cardboard, folded along the top and small tabs on the end of the backplate to stick to the curved part. Then cut the shape from the stainless, folded it then polished it.
          Hi,
          I assume you made a one piece cardboard pattern.
          Can you tell me what you stuck it together with please.
          Mike.

Comment

Hi Scott,
            The question of sticking applies to the stainless steel. Looks like I am asking for the cardboard.
            Mike.

Comment

Those on my Hunter are tig welded. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Cole View Post
                Hi,
                I assume you made a one piece cardboard pattern.
                Can you tell me what you stuck it together with please.
                Mike.
                I found that the top curved part was too flexible if it was only attached along the top fold. So when I was cutting the shape out of one piece of stainless I allowed for small tabs at the two bottom corners of the back plate. These were then folded to meet the end of the curved part when it was folded down. I used sikaflex which was clamped and allowed to set overnight.

Comment

Hi Scott,
                  Thank you for your reply, just what I wanted to know.
                  Mike.

Comment

Hi Scott,
                    I failed to ask how thick was the stainless steel you used.
                    Mike.

Comment

Not sure on the thickness, it was an old cover for a refrgeration unit, probably 0.5 to 1mm. I could have a look later tonight after work, currently sowing Barley in my tractor!

Comment

Hi Scott,
                        Don't trouble yourself, I was thinking on using the 1mm thickness, just needed confirmation.
                        Thanks again for your help.
                        Mike.

Comment

No problem, perhaps you could post some pics to show others how to do it?

Comment

By the way this is the sort of kit that I used to polish the stainless.

Comment

Hi - Much easier to use stainless which is already polished, just don't scratch it while cutting out! It comes with a protective plastic film on the polished side, which helps. Polishing stainless or aluminium is hard work! I made some of these escutcheons for the lights (and door handles) from 1mm polished stainless, and just had a tab along the straight edge at the top, which clamped behind the lights. No need to drill, perfectly secure. The curved ends were made by gently beating around a former (a bit smaller than the radius on the lights) with a rubber mallet, and stayed in place without additional tabs or welding. Typical of Marlin, making the job more difficult than it need be! The stainless came from someone at a show, who had all sorts of sections, thicknesses, etc in stainless and aluminium, great for making all sorts of bits. No idea if they are still trading, but try -

RnR Aluminium Stockholders - 01964 501207 - 07710 314662

Make a cardboard template, and make whatever adjustments you want to that, before you attack the stainless. Get the curves looking right, and add a small slope to the rear of the curved sections, so the whole thing tilts forward slightly - the tab will need bending beyond 90deg if you do that. It may be worth making the tab over size to make bending easier, then trim afterwards.

Hope that helps - Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X