Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Cabrio rear light covers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Cabrio rear light covers. 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Not sure on the thickness, it was an old cover for a refrgeration unit, probably 0.5 to 1mm. I could have a look later tonight after work, currently sowing Barley in my tractor!

2. #12 Re: Cabrio rear light covers. 
    Club Member
    Hi Scott,
    Don't trouble yourself, I was thinking on using the 1mm thickness, just needed confirmation.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Mike.

3. #13 Re: Cabrio rear light covers. 
    No problem, perhaps you could post some pics to show others how to do it?

4. #14 Re: Cabrio rear light covers. 
    By the way this is the sort of kit that I used to polish the stainless.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174223511479

5. #15 Re: Cabrio rear light covers. 
    Hi - Much easier to use stainless which is already polished, just don't scratch it while cutting out! It comes with a protective plastic film on the polished side, which helps. Polishing stainless or aluminium is hard work! I made some of these escutcheons for the lights (and door handles) from 1mm polished stainless, and just had a tab along the straight edge at the top, which clamped behind the lights. No need to drill, perfectly secure. The curved ends were made by gently beating around a former (a bit smaller than the radius on the lights) with a rubber mallet, and stayed in place without additional tabs or welding. Typical of Marlin, making the job more difficult than it need be! The stainless came from someone at a show, who had all sorts of sections, thicknesses, etc in stainless and aluminium, great for making all sorts of bits. No idea if they are still trading, but try -

RnR Aluminium Stockholders - 01964 501207 - 07710 314662

Make a cardboard template, and make whatever adjustments you want to that, before you attack the stainless. Get the curves looking right, and add a small slope to the rear of the curved sections, so the whole thing tilts forward slightly - the tab will need bending beyond 90deg if you do that. It may be worth making the tab over size to make bending easier, then trim afterwards.

Hope that helps - Dave