No announcement yet.

Heater for triumph car - polo perhaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heater for triumph car - polo perhaps?

Mines a Truimph based. I used a Herald heater, blocked up the bottom opening, cut an oblong hole in the side, cut the same size hole through bulkhead and bolted it on. Just gives heat to footwells, not to the screen.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Tiyen Miller
      Hi Bob, why are you moving the battery again? Any exciting developments under-hood necessitating the move?

Neil,
      That set-up looks very do-able and could very well be the way-to-go in my case. However, my engine's set particularly far back under the bonnet, and there isn't much clearance between the back of the head and the "bulkhead" under the battery. Can you let me know what the "thickness" dimension of the herald heater box is? (photo)

Cheers!

Regards,
      Ty

Comment

Tiyen,

The Herald heater unit is 4.5 inches (115mm)deep. Originaly the blower motor stuck out of the engine side but I changed it to the bulkhead side. I have 5 inches clearance to the back of the rocker cover and about 12 inches between the front of the engine and radiator (my rad is mounted just behind the grill by about an inch). So I have plenty of room under the bonnet for the injection airflow meter etc...

I must say though, as another winter project I am considering a re-design of the heater unit with a more efficent fan and to give airflow to the screen. This will probably mean moving the battery to behind the passenger seat - no problem in my long wheelbase (6 inch longer in passenger compartment) as there is a 6 inch gap behind the passenger seat anyway and I can sit straight legged (I'm 6 foot with 33 inch legs) without touching the front bulkhead.

Comment

Tiy
          My battery was initially where yours is ie central but recessed into the bulkhead. When I decided to install a mini heater box the only effective position for it was in the battery,s position thus the battery was relegated to the boot. But as you are aware this eats up the storage space for the side screens etc. So the battery is on the move again.

Comment

I've got the article in a copy of Pitstop, if your still interested I could mail a copy to you. You can reach me by e mail -Alison.Hogg 2 at ntlworld.com

Comment

Message originally posted by: Tiyen Miller
              Hi Neil, thanks for your advice and ideas about the triumph heater - the more I consider it, it really seems to be a good option. I'll be on the lookout for a good herald unit now... Are the spitfire/vitesse/gt6 units very similar?

Well, be sure to let me know if you might be swapping out your heater setup, as I could very well be interested if you might be willing to part with it...

On a differnt topic, your injection setup is very impressive indeed!

Regards,
              Ty

Comment

Message originally posted by: Geert
                what about the electric heater that Europaspares has on sale. Think it's about 120-130 quit. That might do it for you already.

Comment

Tiyen,

Not sure about the different Triumph models, there seemed to be a few variations. Although I think they are the same basic idea.

If I do decide to "re-design" the heater, I'll let you know.

As for the injection - my engine is a Triumph 1500 4cyl. The injection is currently based on a Bosch LE system from a 1.6 Pug 205 GTI. Originally I did the system using a Bosch L system but these ECU's & Airflow meters are getting a bit rare. It's also been running with a Bosch LH (hotwire) system but that wasn't too successful.
                  The hardest part was making the inlet manifold / plenum chamber to hold the injectors. The injector mounting plates came from an opel manta which i adapted to fit a hacked twin card triumph manifold, the plenum chamber I machined from a large block of aluminium and is bolted onto where the carbs were originally.

Finally - would I go back to carbs ???, not bloody likey. Tried it once between injection systems, carbs were only on for a week before they got slung (pity ebay didn't exist then). Bosch LE spares are plentiful, I've got 3 ECU's, 3 Airflow meters, 12 injectors. The system is the easiest electronic system I've ever worked with (far better than Ford, Lucas or Jap systems in my opinion).

Comment

How about a Pitstop article on your injection system, Neil? I for one would be very interested.

Comment

Hmmm, I'll give it some consideration. It probably would make a good pitsop article.

But I would also say - it's not easy !!, a considerable amount of injection system understanding is required (being able to wire an injection system from scratch for a start) and a well equipped workshop with lathe/milling and welding (aluminium) facilities.

Comment

Allright - a nice herald heater just arrived in the post off ebay... Looking forward to the project of fitting it. Looks like there might be interference with the windscreen wiper motor.

Does anyone by chance have the original build manual covering installation of this unit (if it was covered at all?) into a Triumph-based roadster?

Any tips to the installation?

Thanks in advance for any and all help - you've all been very helpful!

Regards,
                        Ty Miller

Comment

What's your email add ?, I could send you the relevant page + a photo of where I put mine. Mine's in a similar place to the build manual, but on a different & stronger bracket (the original was thin ally - mines steel).

Comment

Cheers Neil, my email is: t (at) tiyen (dot) com

Looking forward to seeing how this can be done "by the book". Thanks!

Regards,
                            Ty

Comment

Tiyen, a couple of Triumph heater boxes on ebay at the moment. One with water valve & one witout. Item No's :-

290050411246 & 290050412734

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                                I can't believe I have missed all this correspondence here! It's fast catching up with the hockey stick trim saga! Alan, what issue of Pitstop is the article in? If I have an electronic copy I can send it to Ty.

Welcome back to the Club Ty. Are you still working in Camden?

Comment

Working...
                                X