No announcement yet.

Heater for triumph car - polo perhaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heater for triumph car - polo perhaps?

Hi Neil,

I actually bought this particular heater from the seller on ebay a few weeks ago (the first one, 290050411246). It seems to be in very good condition, and I look forward to installing it next weekend when I go up to Peterborough to visit my family (and have access to a garage...).

The heater was apparently from a "museum" car, and looks very good, not even any bent matrix fins. However, I've yet to water test it or anything. If I suck (!) on one of the tubes with the valve open, air does flow through with some effort, but it's not "free" at all. Is this normal? What's the best way to test the matrix for soundness? Should I go to a radiator shop, or is there a way to check at home?

The drawings and text in the scans from the manual you'd sent are very clear, and look straightforward enough - thanks!

As I'd mentioned, there seems to be a bit of a clearance issue with the windshield wiper motor, as my motor is mounted closer to the windscreen than is shown in the manual (or on your car). However, it seems that there's only about 1-2cm of interference with the back of the blower housing, and perhaps I can modify the shape of the housing a bit to clear.

Any other points I should be aware of that come quickly to mind? Should the wiring run through a relay, or should the amperage be okay running through a switch on the dash, for example?

Sue - great to be back, thanks. I'm a full time science teacher at south camden community school - nice as it's only 8 mins walk from my house. But I've driven in a few times - the kids all have something to say about the Mr Miller's car!

Best regards,
    Ty

Comment

Re: Heater for triumph car - polo perhaps?

Thanks to all your help, I'm now driving a toasty warm Marlin! Nice. I spent the weekend up at my Mum's (where there is a garage) and got the heater all set up. I used a triumph herald hetaer, as suggested by Ben and Neil, and installed it more or less according to the original build manual (thanks Neil!). I had to relocate the windshield wiper motor a bit and my hands really hurt from all the hacksawing, but I'm very pleased. LOTS of heat.

Comment

Working...
      X