Sportster Gear Lever Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Gear Lever Linkage

I decided to move the Sportster out of the garage today basically just to pretend! And to remind myself and the neighbours how great they sound. However I put her into reverse on the Getrag 5 speed it can be a bit hit and miss but this time the entire gear stick went loose as if it had come out of the box. With some head banging under the dash and with no real idea of how I was going to remove the transmission tunnel without too much drama I had a bit of good luck for a change.

i removed the gaiter and managed to grope around the back of the assembly and felt what turned out to be the retaining bracket. The reason for boring you all with this being once I had removed the carpet from the top of the tunnel I found that the gear change assembly rear attachment was held onto the tunnel with one pop rivet.

My car is a factory built car so I do not know if this was fitted by the factory or by a later owner. I rather suspect it was the factory as the carpet etc did not look as it had been desturbed before
    So thought it best to let others know just in case you have a similar attachment. I am amazed that it has lasted this long considering the potential stress on the rivet.

Eventually got it all back together with access through the gear lever hole and retained it with a bolt and nyloc nut. The latter being a bit of a challenge to get onto the bolt via the gear lever hole. But good old gaffer tape came to the rescue, a narrow strip around my finger sticky side up held the nut onto my finger long enough to line it up with holes in the bracket/tunnel. ( My next stay at home project is to write my long overdue book. "200 Things To Try With Gaffer Tape"
    Do hope mine was a one off but might be worth checking.
    Best to all and stay safe.
    Pip Watts

Re: Sportster Gear Lever Linkage

Gaffer tape is an excellent way of removing hair from my arm. After cutting myself on the arm I used a pad of 'Blue Paper' and Gaffer tape to stop the bleeding. Later, when I removed it, it left a square ring of red sore skin and no hair. Next time i'll go for masking tape!

Comment

If you can't fix anything with gaffer tape and a cable tie it is time to throw it away and buy a new one.

Comment

Gaffer tape hair remover !! Ok Dave just don't go fro the Brazilian

Comment

II am short of pop rivets, how do you work out the tie wrap to pop rivet substitution. Or even bolts to tie wraps. Gaffer tape won't go through the hole!

Comment

Yipes good tip, I used a stainless P clip and a bolt. I have been a bit worried about the p clip holding up but so far it's been fine. I'll probabl create a nice aluminium block to hold it some day.
            BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
            http://www.modelog.co.uk/
            http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
            X