Shop around for insurance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop around for insurance.

Proof that getting alternative quotes is always worthwhile. Long story short.

Flux renewal £180
    Sykes quote £110
    Flux best price £105

Interestingly, it's a limited mileage policy but they do not require the current miles reading, wonder if they get it from the MOT?

Re: Shop around for insurance.

Seems to be a common theme with insurance of all sorts.

My first year with Adrian Flux was £145, renewal came through at £175.

I called up a couple of other providers and ended up going with ClassicLine £118 including breakdown cover.

3K mileage restriction, but I only did 1k last year, so cannot see that being a problem.

Everyone I called asked what my best quote was and most managed to beat whatever the current lowest was.

So it seems a few phone calls and you can save quite a bit.

I've just applied for road tax and MOT exemption as the car is now eligible. It will be interesting to see what effect that has on insurance quotes.

Comment

I refuse to tell them what I have been quoted elsewhere . I don't believe that way gets you the best deal.

Comment

I've just been through this routine again and ended up with renewing with my existing insurer. I think my time is worth quite a lot...a local solicitor charges £200 an hour...I've never earned that much, but in negotiating with insurers, each individual call can last half to three quarters of an hour and if you ring round 3 or 4 you've soon clocked up a couple of hours on the phone....and then you have to ring back your chosen provider to accept and maybe pay, necessitating perhaps another lengthy wait on hold before a second (hopefully briefer) conversation. I rather think savings maybe better made by closely examining one's actual cover requirements...I was running a reduced mileage policy at 6000 miles a year...but I just haven't done that much in the Marlin, so I've reduced to 3000 and this year I'll be lucky to cover even that! Also, when one reaches an advanced age couldn't customer loyalty become a factor when negotiating continuing cover?

Comment

Originally posted by billjackson54 View Post
          I've just been through this routine again and ended up with renewing with my existing insurer. I think my time is worth quite a lot...a local solicitor charges £200 an hour...I've never earned that much, but in negotiating with insurers, each individual call can last half to three quarters of an hour and if you ring round 3 or 4 you've soon clocked up a couple of hours on the phone....and then you have to ring back your chosen provider to accept and maybe pay, necessitating perhaps another lengthy wait on hold before a second (hopefully briefer) conversation. I rather think savings maybe better made by closely examining one's actual cover requirements...I was running a reduced mileage policy at 6000 miles a year...but I just haven't done that much in the Marlin, so I've reduced to 3000 and this year I'll be lucky to cover even that! Also, when one reaches an advanced age couldn't customer loyalty become a factor when negotiating continuing cover?
          Agreed. When self employed, if I could earn more money instead of spending hours on the phone to save some loose change, I would prefer to earn.
          Often wonder whether saving a few pounds is worth it when compared with the cost of fuel that you put in the tank, or average repair bills.
          Better to pay the price, and relax.
          if that’s not you, if you don’t have the disposable income, maybe you are in the wrong hobby.

I have a fleet of four vehicles, I have saved on a major expense, no wife! I had a girlfriend who accused me of destroying the planet, since I could only drive one vehicle at a time that argument failed.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

In reply to the comments about time spent on the phone, I spent less than 10mins on the phone to Sykes, who took my number and called back with the quote in the original post that started this thread. Then I called Flux and was about 10mins again.
            Last edited by scott h; 03-05-20, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              Agreed. When self employed, if I could earn more money instead of spending hours on the phone to save some loose change, I would prefer to earn.
              Often wonder whether saving a few pounds is worth it when compared with the cost of fuel that you put in the tank, or average repair bills.
              Better to pay the price, and relax.
              if that’s not you, if you don’t have the disposable income, maybe you are in the wrong hobby.

I have a fleet of four vehicles, I have saved on a major expense, no wife! I had a girlfriend who accused me of destroying the planet, since I could only drive one vehicle at a time that argument failed.
              £60 plus is not "loose change" to me, nor I expect to quite a few others.

My "hobby" is a 30 year old kit car which cost a tenth of the price of a similar aged Morgan. I run it from ebay (paying less for parts than I used to when I owned a Mk3 Cortina back in the 80's.

So, I will continue to shop around whenever my insurance increases the premium by more than what I feel is a reasonable amount.

Comment

Working...
              X