Grease gun warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease gun warning

I recently purchased a Silverline 120cc pistol type grease gun as my lever action one was a pain to use when crawling under the Roadster to grease the prop shaft (I don't have a posh workshop like some, just a single width garage).

First use of the grease gun today and it locked onto the nipple.

Thankfully I was able to unscrew the nipple and then I could cut through the nozzle and prise it off. The jaws are still locked out though.

I've now ordered a quick release coupler from e..y does anyone have experience of these?

Normally I end up with more grease coming out the side of the nozzle than goes through the nipple, so any suggestions for a reliable grease gun would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Grease gun warning

This type of grease gun nozzle is designed to lock on to the grease nipple as you say. In doing so it provides a very good seal. To remove it requires the nozzle to be leaned over sideways to release the jaws. That works fine with a short stubby grease nipple with good clearance around the component. However it cannot be used for greasing prop shafts because the yokes do not allow the sideways movement necessary. The only way I have found to grease prop shafts is to use the old style grease gun which just relies on operator pressure to hold the gun in place. Peter.

Comment

Not the most ideal in tight locations but I still have my Wanner grease gun bought 40 + years ago. And a Gedore socket set bought by a girlfriend when I was 21!

Comment

Thanks Peter, but even when I had removed the grease nipple from the prop shaft and put it in a vice I could not release the jaws.
        In fact they are still in the locked position after the nozzle has been saw in half.

Comment

Working...
        X