Gearbox Information and Brakes Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Information and Brakes Advice

Hi We have a Roadster fitted with 1.8TC and four speed box. My wife wants to drive it more but can't get on with the gearbox as the Syncro in 1st and 2nd either are worn out or this box didn't come with a Syncro in 1st and second.

If it is the former and just worn out any recommendations for places that could refurbish my gearbox?

If it is the latter is there a box that's a direct replacement that has syncro in all four gears and any recommended potential suppliers?

Finally any recommendations for suppliers of new / refurbished brake calipers for the front?

Re: Gearbox Information and Brakes Advice

The gearbox is Triumph derived so many internal parts are available from Triumph parts dealers, Rimmer Bros, probably the biggest, but their might be someone in your area. The problem area is the input shaft and main gear cluster but until you het the top off the box and have a look it’s impossible to guess. Synchro rings are pure Triumph.

Brake calipers do appear on ebay fairly regularly. Don’t trust the pictures, often a generic one is used. The Calipers are used on numerous models from Triumph to Ford. Possibly the best refurbisher is Big Red but they are pretty easy to tackle yourself, just don’t damage the pistons or bores.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

There is an 1800 NOS recon gearbox on ebay at £250. Recon 25 yrs ago & never used. You think you've got problems I'm trying to teach my wife to drive a '58 Landrover with no 1st &2nd syncro. No power brakes no power steering!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
        There is an 1800 NOS recon gearbox on ebay at £250. Recon 25 yrs ago & never used. You think you've got problems I'm trying to teach my wife to drive a '58 Landrover with no 1st &2nd syncro. No power brakes no power steering!
        I saw that one but thought seals would be dried out with no oil in it all that time and no warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
          The gearbox is Triumph derived so many internal parts are available from Triumph parts dealers, Rimmer Bros, probably the biggest, but their might be someone in your area. The problem area is the input shaft and main gear cluster but until you het the top off the box and have a look it’s impossible to guess. Synchro rings are pure Triumph.

Brake calipers do appear on ebay fairly regularly. Don’t trust the pictures, often a generic one is used. The Calipers are used on numerous models from Triumph to Ford. Possibly the best refurbisher is Big Red but they are pretty easy to tackle yourself, just don’t damage the pistons or bores.

Steve so by that I assume now all the gearboxes came with syncro in all four gears?

Comment

Originally posted by hkp57 View Post
            Steve so by that I assume now all the gearboxes came with syncro in all four gears?
            Syncro in all four, but not reverse.
            I would suggest stripping the box first to count the various teeth in the dog clutches and gears themselves to make sure you buy the right ones.
            The weak spot of the gearbox is generally the reverse idler, once worn it can easily damage the other gear clusters. There are several different reverse idlers in attempts to resolve the issue, unfortunately the gearboxes are not serial numbered.

parts lists are available on keepandshare.
            Last edited by stevejgreen; 24-04-20, 10:43 AM.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi All, I've just finished refurbishing my 1.8 TC gearbox they are an absolute doddle to do and no special tools are required. I fitted new syncro rings, (the critical things with syncro rings is the width of the dogs that engage with the syncro hub syncro, mine old rings were 18 thou narrower than the new ones, thus throwing out the syncro teeth alignment) hub springs and balls however I found that the new springs were becoming coil bound on assembly I had to assemble them in the vice such was the pressure of the new springs (now I understand why all the old springs came out broken) so I had to reduce their length to be able to re-assemble the hubs by hand. I did this on my bench grinder using a Vernier Calipers to monitor how much I removed from the end of the spring and to keep them all the same. I reduced the spring length to attain a nice firm action with a positive click when the hub clicked into the neutral position. This action as also made my remote gearchange a lot lighter to operate whereas before it was positive but very heavy it is now a absolute breeze to change, can't wait to get the car back on the road to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinmick View Post
                Hi All, I've just finished refurbishing my 1.8 TC gearbox they are an absolute doddle to do and no special tools are required. I fitted new syncro rings, (the critical things with syncro rings is the width of the dogs that engage with the syncro hub syncro, mine old rings were 18 thou narrower than the new ones, thus throwing out the syncro teeth alignment) hub springs and balls however I found that the new springs were becoming coil bound on assembly I had to assemble them in the vice such was the pressure of the new springs (now I understand why all the old springs came out broken) so I had to reduce their length to be able to re-assemble the hubs by hand. I did this on my bench grinder using a Vernier Calipers to monitor how much I removed from the end of the spring and to keep them all the same. I reduced the spring length to attain a nice firm action with a positive click when the hub clicked into the neutral position. This action as also made my remote gearchange a lot lighter to operate whereas before it was positive but very heavy it is now a absolute breeze to change, can't wait to get the car back on the road to try it out.
                I will second that post, I had exactly the same problem with the springs. The only part that is really difficult to find is the first/second reverse synchro selector ring that tends to lose it's reverse teeth.

The only variant that was really different was the Ital version where they changed the size of teeth in the reverse train making them fewer but bigger. So the Ital layshaft, reverse idler and 1st/2nd synchro ring are unique.
                Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
                X