Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise front front left wheel

G’Day All
    My LWB roadster has a new noise when turning left it sounds like a tyre rubbing but that is impossible so I am thinking brakes but why just when turning left? Any ideas what is wrong? Thanks in advance.
    Michael

Re: Noise front front left wheel

Try wheel bearing.

Comment

I had a similar problem n my B series engined Roadster. It was the steering UJ getting up close and personal with the fan behind the pulley on the alternator. A shorter fan belt cured it

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
        G’Day All
        My LWB roadster has a new noise when turning left it sounds like a tyre rubbing but that is impossible so I am thinking brakes but why just when turning left? Any ideas what is wrong? Thanks in advance.
        Michael
        Is this a Triumph or Marina based car, I’m guessing Marina as its a LWB?
        I would assume that it’s wheel bearing or brakes, it’s impossible to diagnose better because I can’t hear it, sorry.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

It could be a worn bearing. If the noise is a scraping sound then the play in the bearing could be causing the disk to rub on something.

Simple test. Jack the corner up and put axle stands under it. Grasp the top and bottom of the wheel and try rocking it the top and bottom. There shoulld be very little play. If it rocks and you have taper bearings (I don't know what type are fitted to Roasters) you may be able to adjust them by tightening the big nut that holds front hub togther. But be careful as if they are taper bearings it needs to be done according to the appropriate workshop manual.
          If you have play and ball bearings then you will need to replace them, again refer to the workshop manual.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
            If you have play and ball bearings then you will need to replace them, again refer to the workshop manual.
            Good advice. In my experience many MOT testers have been known to fail classic vehicles with what they judge (by modern standards) to be excessive play.
            Over tightening the wheel bearings can cause catastrophic damage to the stub axle and hub.

If in doubt, follow the link in my Signature below.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

G’Day All
              Michael
              Maybe a silly question but why is tyre rubbing impossible? Presumably you have checked that no wiring or brake hose has become loose and nothing has been picked up from the road and wedged in anywhere? Did the noise start suddenly or has it gradually become noticeable? Peter.

Comment

Thank you, Guys. I will get it up in the air tonight and see if I can replicate the noise by turning the wheel by hand,try rocking the wheel re wheel bearings. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                  Maybe a silly question but why is tyre rubbing impossible? Presumably you have checked that no wiring or brake hose has become loose and nothing has been picked up from the road and wedged in anywhere? Did the noise start suddenly or has it gradually become noticeable? Peter.
                  No nothing within a few inches of tire

Comment

If you still have the original backplates behind the disc it could be disc rubbing the backplate. Jack the car , remove brake pads and see if the noise persists is another try.
                    Can you replicate the noise with the wheel removed?

Comment

No nothing within a few inches of tire
                      If it is a Marina based one, then the track rod end is very close to the tyre, sometimes less than 1/2 inch with some wheels.
                      Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Mine is like what you say about 12mm, but due for some new tyres when I can get them will get a narrow section tyre on now 215 section will look at 175 only the tyre which is near the track rod end all the rest is clear.

Comment

Don't suppose you have those noisy wear bars on the friction side of the disc pads by any chance. slip a pad out and have a look.
                          Last edited by philcoyle; 06-05-20, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Michael. From your first post you imply that the noise started suddenly i.e. between the last time you drove the car (no noise) and the next time (noise heard)? If you still have the original back plates / stone guards fitted then check that one of the attachment lugs hasn’t cracked / broken off. This can happen suddenly, if say you travelled on a more bumpy road than usual, or just with normal road vibration due to age. It will then allow the component to rub on the disc. Possibly when turning left the brake hose presses on it and forces it into contact with the disc? Peter.

Comment

Have you tried jacking up the nearside and turning the wheel to the left to see if there is any evidence of the rubbing?
                              If the wheel bearing doesn't have excessive play then removing the brake pads and shining a light down where each pad was whilst spinning the wheel, that might reveal something like a flake of rust that fallen off the back plate and got jammed in there. In addition have you checked that all the back plate bolts are tight, that also holds the brake caliper carrier?
                              Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 06-05-20, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X