Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO.

Originally posted by marlinmick View Post
    Hi Mike, thank you for your comments about my car, yes I'm reburbing it back to its former glory only this time my intension is to do things better, the wiring behind the dash was a complete rats nest that I never did get back to doing it properly, likewise the paint I am now flatting it back in prep for respraying and with a couple of rubs I'm through to the original grey primer I must have been in a real rush to get it on the road. The filler cap was from an autojumble I think, I'm looking to get the mounting flange rechromed along with the headlamp bar when I can find a reliable plater. Yes they are Carmonas but for the life of me I can't remember where I brought them from, it might have been Foukes Bothers at Ibstock (gone now I think) I painted the spokes the same red as the body. I had the paint for the car given to me by a bloke who used to paint Fleet Truck's that's why its Post Office Red but the single coat made it look more pinker than PO Red. I'm painting it properly this time 3 colour coats and 2 coats of clear lacquer. Its still got the same grill as well.

Kind Regards
    Mick.
    Mick

I have sent you a PM

Regards
    Mike

Comment

Hi Mick
      it would be great to see some photos especially since it's somewhat awkward for me to pop round at the moment. Sounds like you've really pushed on with the rebuild.
      If you have any difficulty posting images DC contacted me saying he'd be more than happy to help.

Comment

Q285 AVO Wher I am now.
        This week started off quite well I managed to get all the panels preped and primed ready for paint. So Monday morning it was on with the first coat of colour after all the usual paint setting up process of course (panel wash/clean, tack rag, set spray pressure/pattern etc) and it went on with no problems - until I viewed it the next day in the sunlight outside, to say that I was disappointed was an understatement, the finish was ok this is only the first of 3 coats its having, but the ripples that I had spent so long it trying to get rid of stuck out like a sore thumb but strangely you couldn't feel them, so I'll start the process again on the running boards. However I set up the rest of the panels and give them their first coat (not enough room in my 16x20 double garage to set then all out for painting at the same time so I'm doing them in batches) again the paint went on lovely with no runs or drips - however again viewing it the next day I was again horrified at what I saw - micro-blistering in the finish due the high ambient temperature - so for now I've pulled stumps and packed up painting until it cools down, so its back to the wet flatting again.
        A bit of good news though I now have my bit of bling in the shape of a custom made aluminium radiator it has a 55mm core and its 90mm longer and has an accessible filler neck.

Comment

I set up an old market stall frame with tarp covering it. It was weather like this and got bleddy hot inside. I only had room inside to spray a couple of panels at a time. I have been happy with all the panels except the running boards. When they have been flattened back then mopped I can get a deep shine but you can see ripples which are in the fiberglass. I have flattened back and mopped a couple of times and they did look better but still ripples and they are currently flattened back while I decide what to do.
          Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Those ripples seem to be par for the course, Q67 which I rebuilt was exactly the same, I gave up and ended up with nice smooth ripples !

Comment

Working...
            X