Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO.

Hi I am a new/old member (Adrian Priest days) and I joined this Club in March. I built my Mk11 Roadster Chassis No. MRC 2546 (the MRC are my initials and I stamped them on the plate before having it registered so there recorded on the V5) between 1984 and 1986 getting it on the road in May 86. I did a completed dry build of the car to running condition then stripped it down again to paint all the individual panels on both sides. In brief I then used the car for several years covering about 10000 miles. Then from about 1992 it fell into disuse to work commitments and other interests. Them in 97 I refurbished the engine treating it to a re-bore new pistons, reconditioned the head etc. but returning it to the road revealed severe over heating problems obviously due to the tight engine and it became totally unusable with a very real fear of being scolded if any of the cooling components failed, the heater literally roasted your legs, so it was back off the road while I had a think. I returned it to the road again in 2004 for a short while but despite no end of trials trying to get it to run cool all attempts failed, it was running that hot I had to stall it to get it to get the engine to stop. Again life my busy got in the way working and doing several other sometimes domestic projects, renovate a 3 bedroom rental property (for my retirement pension) fitting 4 kitchens, 2 Bathrooms for family and block paving my rear garden then some proper interesting work on several motorcycle projects.
    Fast forward to March 2020 and covid-19 lockdown - Marlin time - only this time no mucking about I'm going straight for a new high efficiency radiator and several other mods and a complete refurbishment of the car including a full repaint and retrim of the interior. So at this moment I have removed all the body panels and chiselled out the old windscreen, boy did that Sikaflex stick. Rebuilt and painted the front and rear suspension, new bearings and seal in the rear axle. I have welded up frame to support the brake servo carrier due to a cracked bulkhead and I've modified the clutch slave cylinder so that it can be removed when the bulkhead is in place. I'm looking into moving the steering rack rearwards to get a decent radiator in, I've cut the rack mounts off above the angle iron cross brace and welded them to sole plates to fix them by either welding or drilling and bolting once I have the radiator in position. That's the position at the moment and when I can work out how to post pictures I will put some on of my progress.
    Stay safe and take care All. Mick Clamp.

Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO.

That's a great story keep up the work and keep us informed.

Adrian

Comment

Welcome back

Comment

Welcome back from me too Mick

Here's your car from "back in the day"

Look forward to the rebuild pics, if I can help with them please get in touch

Dave Cunnington
        Attached Files

Comment

Welcome back to the club. You sound like an experienced builder so I don't want to teach an old dog new tricks, but I am concerned about you moving the steering rack mounts. While I have no hands on experience of the Roadster, the position of the steering rack will be precisely calculated and changing it will have an effect on the steering geometry, and could be dangerous without careful consideration.

Comment

Hi Scott, thank you for your comments and yes your absolutly right about any affects on steering geometry. I've read all sorts of documents, watched stuff on youtube etc and most evidence seems very ambiguous to say the least. The Akerman principle from my understanding looks to be measured and governed by a line taken through the king pin swivel points along the line of a triangle taken from the centre line of the rear axle and through the steering arm track rod end, but yes I could have misunderstood/interpreted it wrong! However nothing proves a point better than actual physical trials and experiments. so what I did to convince myself that it should repeat should alright was to set up some string lines, paper charts. and a protractor to measure the wheel angles on both wheels from lock to lock with the rack in various forward/aft positions and apart from the toe in/toe out corrections the wheel angles remained the same throughout the trials or were literally immeasurable from the techniques that I was using. But from what has been previously stated and "I don't want to open a can of worms on the Akerman principle" I could be completely wrong and I've not considered the effects of bump steer or self centring yet, but on the Marlin set up I can't see that the position of the rack rearwards (40mm Max) makes any difference. Depending on the final fit of the new radiator when I get it I might end up putting the rack back in its original place again yet and I will only move it if its safe. As I am a practical mechanical engineer (retired) I would really appreciate any input/advice from any technical engineers or fellow members. I do not drive it like a race car or performance car to me its my affordable sedate 1950 MG TF.
            I originally brought my Marlin because I liked the looks and quality of the kit, performance didn't matter to me, I remember being taken around Mallory Park on a track day by Paul Morehouse and I remember a comment from him saying whilst flying round one corner "I wish these bloody Cobra's wouldn't keep getting in the way , his Marlin was like it was on rails, and it S--t me up - honestly! Bye for now. Mick.

Comment

Thank you thats amazing were did that picture come from?

Comment

It's in the archive which I run for the Club, probably you sent it to Marlin and we have all their old customer files

……..email me personally (details in Pitstop magazine) and I can send you all
                the archive pics I have of the car - there are six from 1989 to 1998, and a
                higher resolution copy of this one

Rgds Dave Cunnington
                Last edited by dcunn; 02-05-20, 03:34 PM.

Comment

It was a ride in Mick's Roadster that got me into Marlin ownership back in '91 and someone who has been a good friend since. Oh. and he forgot to mention the NCF Diamond he also built amongst his various projects!

Comment

Thank you Alan I completely forgot that one. It was you visiting me with your then current Roadster in February that inspired me to finally get my finger out and get mine back on the road this year though I didn't plan to be doing a full refurbishment on but it will be well worth it. I can't believe how my standards and abilities have changed over the last 35 years either because as I stripping it down I soon found areas that I definitely would not put up with today, like the rats nest of wiring under the dash "that would do for now" never got sorted and tidied up, if it was somebody else's car I would be thinking what bodge merchant put this together, but the Marlin design puts up with it though, I think that at the time I was a young thirtyish youth anxious to get the car on the road after all the hours and frustrations spent building it.
                    Last edited by marlinmick; 03-05-20, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Mick, did you get the email and photos from me - I don't know if the address I used is still your current one ?

Rgds DC

Comment

Like Scott I'd be very careful moving the rack. Your right about the Ackerman angle. What I'd be worried about would be introducing bump steer.
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I'm also in the middle of fitting a 4 row civic rad in my mk2 Roadster and I'm pretty sure I will not have to move the rack back. I'll post some pictures as soon as I have the mounts in. This should be by the weekend.
                          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thank you I would be very interested to see how it fits in. I can't decide which is the most favourable route, have my Viva rad uprated and them all the mounting and pipes fit or go with the civic rad and have to manufacture mounts and source pipes. Reading the forum posts I will definitly be installing ducting inside the nosecone to derect the airflow through the core, again what is the nost effective fan mounted to the front or behind the rad. I have a SEAT Alhambra that is my daily drive and that has the fans behind the rad with a remote expansion bottle with filler cap, the rad cap is on top of the radiator on the Marlin with no expansion bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                              It was a ride in Mick's Roadster that got me into Marlin ownership back in '91 and someone who has been a good friend since. Oh. and he forgot to mention the NCF Diamond he also built amongst his various projects!
                              Similar for me - I saw Mick's Roadster at several shows and loved it - I even had a photo of it which I got a magnifying glass out try to see what your make your wheels were (Carmonia - made by the now defunct Two Gates Wheels in Telford - I was lucky to get one of their last sets). And the radiator grill required 3 Rover SD1 radiator grills all cut and glued together.

And my favourite part of all was your fuel filler cap - I never did work out where you got that from?!
                              (I still have a couple of photos of your car at Stoneleigh from around that time!)

Really pleased you are restoring your car back to its glory days in the late 80's and early 90's.

Regards and thanks for the inspiration

Mike Garner
                              Last edited by Mike; 06-05-20, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X