Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO.

1. #11 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    Hi Mick, did you get the email and photos from me - I don't know if the address I used is still your current one ?

Rgds DC

2. #12 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    Like Scott I'd be very careful moving the rack. Your right about the Ackerman angle. What I'd be worried about would be introducing bump steer.

3. #13 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    I'm also in the middle of fitting a 4 row civic rad in my mk2 Roadster and I'm pretty sure I will not have to move the rack back. I'll post some pictures as soon as I have the mounts in. This should be by the weekend.

4. #14 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    club member Club Member
    Thank you I would be very interested to see how it fits in. I can't decide which is the most favourable route, have my Viva rad uprated and them all the mounting and pipes fit or go with the civic rad and have to manufacture mounts and source pipes. Reading the forum posts I will definitly be installing ducting inside the nosecone to derect the airflow through the core, again what is the nost effective fan mounted to the front or behind the rad. I have a SEAT Alhambra that is my daily drive and that has the fans behind the rad with a remote expansion bottle with filler cap, the rad cap is on top of the radiator on the Marlin with no expansion bottle.

5. #15 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    Quote Originally Posted by dogoncrazy View Post
    It was a ride in Mick's Roadster that got me into Marlin ownership back in '91 and someone who has been a good friend since. Oh. and he forgot to mention the NCF Diamond he also built amongst his various projects!
    Similar for me - I saw Mick's Roadster at several shows and loved it - I even had a photo of it which I got a magnifying glass out try to see what your make your wheels were (Carmonia - made by the now defunct Two Gates Wheels in Telford - I was lucky to get one of their last sets). And the radiator grill required 3 Rover SD1 radiator grills all cut and glued together.

And my favourite part of all was your fuel filler cap - I never did work out where you got that from?!
    (I still have a couple of photos of your car at Stoneleigh from around that time!)

Really pleased you are restoring your car back to its glory days in the late 80's and early 90's.

Regards and thanks for the inspiration

Mike Garner
    Last edited by Mike; 06-05-2020 at 08:37 PM.

6. #16 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    club member Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinmick View Post
    Thank you I would be very interested to see how it fits in. I can't decide which is the most favourable route, have my Viva rad uprated and them all the mounting and pipes fit or go with the civic rad and have to manufacture mounts and source pipes. Reading the forum posts I will definitly be installing ducting inside the nosecone to derect the airflow through the core, again what is the nost effective fan mounted to the front or behind the rad. I have a SEAT Alhambra that is my daily drive and that has the fans behind the rad with a remote expansion bottle with filler cap, the rad cap is on top of the radiator on the Marlin with no expansion bottle.
    I found that most of the time even the standard Viva is fine. It was only when I was in a traffic jam or slow moving stop start traffic that it was a problem, most likely because the engine fan was too far from the rad to be any use. Since I uprated the rad and fitted an electric fan I haven't had any issues.

I didn't want the faff of fabricating mounts and rerouting pipes, although I will admit that those Civic rads look good.

My research suggests that the most effective fan position is behind the rad but there wasn't the room so mine is in front. Seems to work fine and I've read that some manufacturers use the same configuration so I'm not concerned.

7. #17 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinmick View Post
    With hindsight I would have the Viva rad recored as the pipework is already worked out and the mounts. By comparison fitting a Civic rad is major surgery! As for the fan the modern pusher fans work sell in front of the rad. I am still considering how to add an expansion bottle.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

8. #18 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    With hindsight I would have the Viva rad recored as the pipework is already worked out and the mounts. By comparison fitting a Civic rad is major surgery! As for the fan the modern pusher fans work sell in front of the rad. I am still considering how to add an expansion bottle.
    When I had my Viva radiator recored I took the opportunity to have the correct neck to fit the correct double sealed cap.
    I also had a drain plug fitted so I could drain the system in a controlled manner.
    Finally I has a boss brazed on, ready for a temperature sender.
    All easy to do whilst the rad was out of the car.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

9. #19 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    This is as far as I have got at the moment. The top mount is too flexible and catches the bonnet so needs adjustment but physically it is in and fits.

radinstall.jpg
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

10. #20 Re: New (old) Member. History of Marlin Roadster Q285 AVO. 
    club member Club Member
    Hi All. Now that the lockdown restrictions have been eased with regards to travel I can now take my Viva Rad to have it re-cored I think that for me this is the easiest way forward. I collected my new windscreen yesterday fron Alvaston Glass in Derby. it's slightly thicker than the 35year old Marlin supplied glass that I took out and it has a lovely polished edge all round. I have now got to work out a better way of holding it in the Sikaflex holds it in alright but I dont want to have to chop it out again with a chiesel againn if I have to remove it anytime. I'm looking at a Square U Channel rubber seat to secure it in position with justa bead of sealer all around the edge of the windscreen to weatherproof it.
    I am in the long process of preparing all the panels for repainting addressing the knocks, bumps and scratches it has gained whilst no being used. I must have been in a rush when I painted it the first time has some very gentle rubbing with 600 wet and dry is already revealing the primer. This time its having 3 colour coats with some clear coats on top. I'm using single pack QD Enamel sprayed, I had a little dabble at coach painting with a brush and with time and care you can get a really smooth finish with barely any brush marks with lots of flatting back etc but it is very time consuming and probably quite difficult in places on the Marlin (bonnet louvres/rivets etc).
    During the strip down I discovered the remote gearchange that I fabricated for the Marina gearbox (I'd forgot about, its that long since I drove it) I have tried on several to import some pictures of my car but all I do is loose all my text and then my patience! I get there one day.
    Mick.