Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Numb bum...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Numb bum... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Gareth's Avatar
    We'll, seats all done, and very comfy too, if I may say so!
    If anyone is thinking of just replacing the foam cushioning then 2 pieces, 18in x 14in of 3in thick composite with a 1in topping of high density foam is what I've used off eBay.
    Should be able to get to the caravan in Anglesey in one go, should they ever let us back into Wales...
    Gareth.

2. #12 Re: Numb bum... 
    Moderator Club Member
    Can you give details /link to which company you used as it would save me trawling e bay. Thanks.

3. #13 Re: Numb bum... 
    Hi, here's the item no on eBay,
    They'll cut it to size and relist with that size. You'll just need to trim the rear corners and take a bit at the front to fit in the seat moulding. But they'd probably do that for you if you ask.
    Took the car out for a longish drive yesterday and found the seat a million times more comfortable, sitting about an inch higher which for me is no problem!
    Cheers, Gareth.

4. #14 Re: Numb bum... 
    Moderator Club Member
    Much appreciated. Thanks.

5. #15 Re: Numb bum... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Gareth
    Re:"If anyone is thinking of just replacing the foam cushioning then 2 pieces, 18in x 14in of 3in thick composite with a 1in topping of high density foam is what I've used off eBay."

I measured my existing reconstituted foam yesterday and it measures 2 inches not the 3 inches you have stated.
    Therefore with my seats I would need 2" of reconstituted with the 1 inch of High density foam on top.
    Which equates to a total of 3 inches thickness of foam.
    Can you confirm if this is what you actually ordered please and not 4" ?
    Thanks.

6. #16 Re: Numb bum... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Ebay links have a habit of expiring. Better to link direct to the supplier themselves, where there is usually far more information and it will survive as long as the company does.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

7. #17 Re: Numb bum... 
    Hi, yep, I ordered the 3 in plus 1 in topping as I wanted a bit more height and find that it's fine for me. The thinner foam would do fine, especially if you're taller than me, and let's face it, most are! The original covers still stretched over the thicker foam easily enough.
    Gareth.

8. #18 Re: Numb bum... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Gareth
    My current covers have only a 1" double fold over before it was stapled therefore I guess that I have only room for a 3" total thickness.

It depends I guess on how each cover was trimmed off . I suspect that the thickness of the seat foam was determined by the drivers height when ordering the seats because of the space limitations and steering wheel clearances.
    Yes I am taller than you and will therefore go for an overall 3" set up.
    Thanks.