Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you drive the Ford i4 8 valve DOHC engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you drive the Ford i4 8 valve DOHC engine?

If so, you have probably given some thought to what engine you might fit in it's place, when (as seems more or less inevitable) it, well, stops... I want to plan ahead and am considering various options: I read and re-reead kieran78's thread on Cabrio engine choice and I like the idea of Chris Cussens' Zetec conversion, but I want to get the best idea I can on costs before committing myself. I like Geoff's idea of the 2 litre Alfa engine as well, and the MX5 1800 vvti engine/gearbox idea also appeals. However, to come to the point...HUNTER owners...if you don't have the V8 Rover the Ford engined cars probably have the Ford DOHC 16 valve engine as fitted in 2.0 litre or 2.3 litre form to latter day Scorpios and Galaxys up to 2006. It is said that the 2.3 version provides nearly as much uumph as the Rover, and should have the advantage of dropping straight into the Cabrio engine bay more or less exactly where the old 8 valve motor sat...as the Galaxy motor is said to be simply a much improved and more powerful development of the old 8 valve unit: the two litre version being a 16 valve head bolted onto on same block the 8 valve used. If so, one can continue to use the existing MT75 gearbox as fitted, with maybe even the same clutch. 145 bhp is a very acceptable improvement on the old engine and of course Marlin themselves used this engine in the factory built cars.
    My question is do I have my facts straight on this? I've only seen one car with the 16 valve engine, a 2 litre one and the owner wasn't too impressed with its performance. I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually got either the Mazda engine / gearbox set up (can you use a MX75 and the MX5 1800 vvti or do you have to do the gearbox as well) or the 2.3 Ford DOHC motor...if you use a Galxy sourced engine, where does the sump come from (I assume you need to change it) ?

Re: Do you drive the Ford i4 8 valve DOHC engine?

Talking Mazda MX5 gearboxes, its interesting to note that Morgan use to use the Ford 2L GDi engine mated to a Mazda 5 speed box before their recent move to BMW engines/gearboxes.

OK, I'm not suggesting that you go raid a Morgan to get your running gear, however, it does give you another idea of a combination that works.

I've currently got a 2L Injected Pinto in mine and for all they say about Pinto's (e.g. the motorsport fraternity love them, they form the basis for the Cosworth when its a 205 block, they are very tuneable, fitting a fast road cam and twin Delorto's or Webers would give a decent power boost, as would a set of bike carbs etc) you can't get away from the fact that its a big cast iron lump and that makes the steering very heavy in my Cabrio. So I too have been through the loop of considering a engine swap but have come up with slightly different results to yourself. I have considered:

a. Alfa/Fiat - a straight 4 would give a nice period look to the engine, good engines too but probably more upkeep in the long run. An Alfa V6 would be glorious but may be a real beast to install
    b. Ford Zetec 2L - yeah, a good reliable engine, loads around and many have been installed in the kitcar community so there's loads of forums and info to guide you.
    c. Ford Duratec 2L - see 'b' above. My only concerns on this are its a slightly taller engine overall so may end up getting into different sumps to get it to sit low enough but still not have issues with speed bumps.
    d. MX5 1.8/2L - like the Alfa/Fiat the engine could look more period but do I want to swap the gearbox too? That said MX5 g/b's are very good.

However I'm currently looking at the following two engines that most probably would give me what I would like:

e. Ford Duratec 2L but specifically the one out of a Focus ST170 (loads of these around for reasonable prices) its standard state of tune would be more than enough to make the Marlin a tad nippy; again loads have been used in kitcars and lots on info out there.
    f. Ford 1.6L Zetec SE (Sigma Engine). This is the one that I'm really looking into in detail. A lovely little engine, easily tuneable to 150 BHP, you can get way more but you don't really need it, but more importantly its both lightweight (improved steering weight) and it very much like a current day Lotus Twin Cam but without all the maintenance that could entail.

I'll let you know the results and decision.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I too have the Ford 8V DOHC engine in my Cabrio and have wondered what I would replace it with if it failed big time. Although the engine is generally considered pretty reliable the cylinder heads have been known to overheat and crack. They are not exactly oozing power at 120bhp or so and I don't believe there is much in the way of tuning items on the market. Also, if the timing chain breaks it can cause very serious damage. Having once fitted a 2l Alfa DOHC in a Roadster I have a soft spot for that engine and would seriously consider that as a replacement. Its light, rugged fairly simple build and with a duplex timing chain giving about 130bhp in standard tune. It also looks the part. However there are many other options just as good as suggested by Wigglesworld above. It would be interesting to put together a list of potential replacement engines for all models in the Marlin range along with advantages, disadvantages, ease of replacement, amount of re-engineering required, cost etc etc. This could form the basis of an article at some time in the future for Pitstop. If anyone has further inputs on this please put them up here or send directly to me, whatever you prefer.

Geoff (Ed)

Comment

Very interesting reading, my Hunter built by the Marlin Factory and delivered 13th December 1996 was fitted with, according to the Invoice a "4cyl DOHC 8v Engine & MT75 gearbox £4,050." The engine has 2.1 embossed on the cover. Obviously I imagine for this money it was a brand new engine, especially as there has never been an Engine Number shown on the V5. I hope my engine keeps running ok as at the present time it is sitting in the garage !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X