The very long way to a boot lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The very long way to a boot lid

I made up a perspex screen for the roll bar. It reduced the fume cycle but still get some.

Comment

They do recommend that if you have your exhaust installed under car (as against a side installation) that the pipe coming out the rear box should be at 45 degrees such that its sending the fumes behind one of the rear wheels. Problems with fumes tend to occur when the exhaust exits more between the wheels. Mine, admittedly, is between the wheels on the RHS but like I said I have a wind break fitted.
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Interesting as exhaust i took off had the 45 deg but I did not like it - now at least I have ideas on solving problem I created

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
        They do recommend that if you have your exhaust installed under car (as against a side installation) that the pipe coming out the rear box should be at 45 degrees such that its sending the fumes behind one of the rear wheels. Problems with fumes tend to occur when the exhaust exits more between the wheels. Mine, admittedly, is between the wheels on the RHS but like I said I have a wind break fitted.

Comment

When I bought my Cabrio it had an exhaust that went under car and exited behind rear pas wheel and the fumes were "orrible" as part of my improvements I had a Stainless twin pipe set up made and it was not much better, after some experimentation I went back and had the tail pipes changed to turn down (see photo) now much better as the fumes get whipped away instead of curling back into the car
          Regards
          Bryan

Ps I did also shorten the Bumper brackets so as to be closer to the back of the car to improve air flow
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bryannewell; 06-06-20, 09:26 PM.
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Lots of great advice, thank you

Shame I only just rebuilt my exhaust a couple year ago, I have 4 tips out the rear middle again - which I prefer visually https://youtu.be/KXJBKerTiNI
            BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
            http://www.modelog.co.uk/
            http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by bryannewell View Post
              When I bought my Cabrio it had an exhaust that went under car and exited behind rear pas wheel and the fumes were "orrible" as part of my improvements I had a Stainless twin pipe set up made and it was not much better, after some experimentation I went back and had the tail pipes changed to turn down (see photo) now much better as the fumes get whipped away instead of curling back into the car
              Regards
              Bryan

Ps I did also shorten the Bumper brackets so as to be closer to the back of the car to improve air flow
              Hi Bryan,

Your picture of the Cabrio has me slightly confused, as I was always under the illusion that the Cabrio's always came with a boot. Teaches me a lesson, just because mine has a boot doesn't mean everyone's has. Is yours a SWB?
              2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

My first Cabrio Q146 MPU was a SWB early model - no boot in that one . I thought at one time that the 'booted' version only came with the LWB but now not so sure!
                Would consider another as long as its a long wheel base model in top condition.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                  My first Cabrio Q146 MPU was a SWB early model - no boot in that one . I thought at one time that the 'booted' version only came with the LWB but now not so sure!
                  Would consider another as long as its a long wheel base model in top condition.
                  Mine is a LWB so looks as if you've a) answered my question and b) are still correct. Ta.

Comment

The SWB Cabrio became available with a boot very early on. Peter Hare built one of the first kits and after the car was on the road cut his tail and fitted the first boot lid. to a Cabrio. He made plans available for others to follow. Marlin then developed their version. There were many SWB supplied with the boot before the LWB model came about.

Comment

Hi Wiggles
                      It is a short wheelbase and defo no boot lid so I guess it is an early one?, reg in 1997 but not built by me
                      Regards
                      Bryan
                      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan, your car is number 60, probably mid-late 1994 - could you send me the data off your plate please ?

Re this lwb discussion, just remembered I have this pic, the chassis front cross piece
                        on R87 had this marked, in addition to the chassis plate
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dcunn; 08-06-20, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Hi DC
                          Thanks for info 94 sounds about right as reg'd in 97
                          Can you just clarify what info you require/What plate please?
                          Regards
                          Bryan
                          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan, I'm looking for the info from the plate on your scuttle, similar to this one from my Hunter

The stamping on it will be something like T4060KRJJSWRV1994 or maybe T4060AGKR9409

In 1993 the date was just the year, by 1995 it was year/month and yours could be either

The letters are the initials of the guys who built the kit

Rgds DC
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi DC
                              You are partly correct but all I have on my plate is the T4 060
                              There is nowt else! That is also reflected on the V5C
                              Hope that helps
                              Regards
                              Bryan
                              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Interesting, just when I think I've sorted a pattern, something changes !

There are many cars for which I do not know the plate details, but it is (I thought !) normal
                                for Cabrios & Sportsters to have the initials of the builders, and the build date - WRONG !

Hunters (as far as I have seen) are the same but at the end of the sequence they also have
                                the initials of the person the car was built for.

Many thanks for looking Bryan

Anyone else any numbers/letters for me ?

Comment

Working...
                                X