Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hunter hood, header bar stowage?

1. #1 Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    What do you do with this fellow, when the hood is not in use please? To be fair it normally sits against the wall of the garage, but I'd like to know where others keep the thing in the car, when on the road?
    Last edited by kahawi; 08-05-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added 'in the car' to make the question clearer
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

2. #2 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kahawi View Post
    What do you do with this fellow, when the hood is not in use please? To be fair it normally sits against the wall of the garage, but I'd like to know where others keep the thing in the car, when on the road?
    I tend to keep mine on top of some cupboards in the garage as I have never actually fitted it to the hood even when its been up. I did take it with me once and on that occasion it was slotted, prongs facing down, between the passengers seat and the transmission tunnel.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

3. #3 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Mine used to fit horizontally, prongs facing forward, on the rear “shelf” just underneath the seat belt spools. However since I fitted a proper shelf with toolboxes incorporated thats not possible. It now resides hanging up in the garage! I found it’s main use was when parked, to stop a huge puddle forming in the front hood area. Alas as it isn’t secured across the hood, it doesn’t do anything to stop the hood flapping noisily at anything over 60mph. However ear plugs are the best option then! I don’t have the hood up much anyway as it spoils the V8 soundtrack! Peter.

4. #4 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    Mine was only ever used when parked, after the one occasion where I was (a) deafened by the chattering of the metal to metal contact
    with the main hood frame and (b) nearly brained when trying a one handed adjustment whilst driving

Kept the rain from puddling when parked though

For storage, I cut it in two and put a wooden dowel up one half so that the two parts went tightly together, the two pieces then sat happily
    strapped down (Velcro) in the boot.
    Last edited by dcunn; 08-05-2020 at 02:37 PM.

5. #5 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    club member Club Member
    Mine too is normally resident in the garage. I believe the suggestion that the intention was to prevent puddling in the roof when parked in the rain ...certainly that is what I was told when I got mine. At home it the car is usually undercover...and I tend not to use it very often if I'm out and about in the rain...but to answer the question, IF I happen to be carrying mine in the car, it travels in the behind-the-seats space. ,

6. #6 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    Another Cabrio memory was that the hood bag could not easily be taken off whilst on the move, so if you're driving with the hood
    down, and it looks like it might rain, remove your hood bag before departure - - - don't ask how I found this out !

7. #7 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    club member Club Member philmcgrath's Avatar
    It will actually fit in the boot right at the back. Takes a bit of practice but it will lie across the floor just in front of the boot lid hinge

8. #8 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    club member Club Member
    I leave my Cabrio bar velcroed to the roof when it is folded up. It sits in the folds of the hood quite well. I usually put a fold above and below it. I have always thought that it would not be beyond the wit of man* to make some extra linkages to swing it into place.
    Paul

*It might be beyond my wit.

9. #9 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    club member Club Member
    Hi,
    I have always stored the central roof support around the closed roof, it tucks in neatly around the cant bar. The cover goes over the top and keeps it all in place. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

10. #10 Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage? 
    Club Member
    Hi,
    Some good ideas as to where the central support could go, I keep mine behind the seats, easy to erect in the event of rain.