Hunter hood, header bar stowage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter hood, header bar stowage?

What do you do with this fellow, when the hood is not in use please? To be fair it normally sits against the wall of the garage, but I'd like to know where others keep the thing in the car, when on the road?
    Last edited by kahawi; 08-05-20, 12:09 PM. Reason: added 'in the car' to make the question clearer
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Re: Hunter hood, header bar stowage?

Originally posted by kahawi View Post
    What do you do with this fellow, when the hood is not in use please? To be fair it normally sits against the wall of the garage, but I'd like to know where others keep the thing in the car, when on the road?
    [ATTACH]11592[/ATTACH]
    I tend to keep mine on top of some cupboards in the garage as I have never actually fitted it to the hood even when its been up. I did take it with me once and on that occasion it was slotted, prongs facing down, between the passengers seat and the transmission tunnel.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Mine used to fit horizontally, prongs facing forward, on the rear “shelf” just underneath the seat belt spools. However since I fitted a proper shelf with toolboxes incorporated thats not possible. It now resides hanging up in the garage! I found it’s main use was when parked, to stop a huge puddle forming in the front hood area. Alas as it isn’t secured across the hood, it doesn’t do anything to stop the hood flapping noisily at anything over 60mph. However ear plugs are the best option then! I don’t have the hood up much anyway as it spoils the V8 soundtrack! 🙂 Peter.

Comment

Mine was only ever used when parked, after the one occasion where I was (a) deafened by the chattering of the metal to metal contact
        with the main hood frame and (b) nearly brained when trying a one handed adjustment whilst driving

Kept the rain from puddling when parked though

For storage, I cut it in two and put a wooden dowel up one half so that the two parts went tightly together, the two pieces then sat happily
        strapped down (Velcro) in the boot.
        Last edited by dcunn; 08-05-20, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Mine too is normally resident in the garage. I believe the suggestion that the intention was to prevent puddling in the roof when parked in the rain ...certainly that is what I was told when I got mine. At home it the car is usually undercover...and I tend not to use it very often if I'm out and about in the rain...but to answer the question, IF I happen to be carrying mine in the car, it travels in the behind-the-seats space. ,

Comment

Another Cabrio memory was that the hood bag could not easily be taken off whilst on the move, so if you're driving with the hood
            down, and it looks like it might rain, remove your hood bag before departure - - - don't ask how I found this out !

Comment

It will actually fit in the boot right at the back. Takes a bit of practice but it will lie across the floor just in front of the boot lid hinge

Comment

I leave my Cabrio bar velcroed to the roof when it is folded up. It sits in the folds of the hood quite well. I usually put a fold above and below it. I have always thought that it would not be beyond the wit of man* to make some extra linkages to swing it into place.
                Paul

*It might be beyond my wit.

Comment

Hi,
                  I have always stored the central roof support around the closed roof, it tucks in neatly around the cant bar. The cover goes over the top and keeps it all in place. Hope this helps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                    Some good ideas as to where the central support could go, I keep mine behind the seats, easy to erect in the event of rain.

Comment

Thank you to everybody for your suggestions, I’ve plenty to experiment with. So far I have discovered that our bar doesn’t fit behind the seats, on the Hunter. I’m not too happy with it jammed beside the passenger either.

I’ll play around fitting it inside the boot hinge, at least it would seem to be readily accessible for a downpour there, especially if the boot is packed with M’Ladies weekend accessories!

It seems that few respondents use the bar as intended, but I always made sure it is fitted over the winter, with the hood up and under cover just to keep the hood stretched into shape.

Let’s hope we don’t need it this summer, but that we do get some Marlin motoring miles on the clock.

Thanks again, Colin B
                      Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

I fit my bar for the winter and leave it there. In summer, the roof only goes up for security when I park in a public place or when caught by a heavy rain shower while driving. You don’t need the bar in just to get home. The hood flaps a bit but it stays dry inside.

ive never used the hood tonneau bag because it’s unwieldy.

I don’t need to get out of the car to put the up roof in rain. Pull over, reach over shoulder and pull up, clip the rail to screen frame and raise the windows.

Comment

That is one beautiful car interior 👌

Comment

Hi All
                            Having been caught out in torrential rain whilst cruising around Millers Dale in Derbyshire a couple of week age I whipped up the hood from the driving seat just before the biggest raindrops ever started to fall and the hood proved to be totally water proof, some of the roadside lakes I drove through around Chatsworth even caused the carb to take in a gulp of the wet stuff through the K&N that caused a severe misfire (kangaroo petrol type of misfire) until we made Matlock then cleared itself,
                            On the journey back to Derby we remained dry and were very impressed with the hood, but that central loose hood frame bar drives us mad. I'm a Mechanical Engineer but I've not really had a chance to have a good look at it yet but surely by now someone must have worked a better idea/solution to (a) storing the loose bar in the car within quick easy reach or (b) incorporating it into the hood frame so that it comes up with the hood.
                            My bar is very awkward to position because the area where the bar locates in the hood side rails doesn't correspond very well with the velcro fixing tapes sown into the hood material so the bar keeps falling forward, I'm also very wary of banging the ends of the bar against the edge of the side windows and shattering the glass, now that would be a nightmare!

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to All,

Mick.

Comment

My bar stows nicely in the garage. It is a pain to carry and a pain to put in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X