I must stop hitting Policemen:-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must stop hitting Policemen:-

Or, at least the sleeping ones! ‘ULA’ passed her MOT this week with flying colours, and not even an advisory, however my garage man did suggest a new sump would be a good idea as it’s quite beaten up, a bit oil-weepy, not actually leaking though - Not all my doing, of course!

So, does anyone know where best I can obtain a Ford 2.3 litre, DOHC 16-valve sump, or ‘Oil-Pan’ as Amazon would call it? It seems that Scorpio’s or Galaxy’s are becoming rarer at the breakers, with new sumps for any vehicle commanding ridiculous prices on some websites, but rarely any that fit a Scorpio. Is there a similar engine that would match?

I’m quite tempted to buy a welding set, beat the existing one back into shape and stick a few reinforcing straps/plates around to protect it, might be cheaper in the long run?
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Re: I must stop hitting Policemen:-

Hi
    If its a steel sump pan then yes you can bang out most dents. The main area of concern is have you dented it just below where the strainer pick up pipe sits, as if you reduce the clearance there crud/debrit could be sucked up into the mesh obstruction it and reducing oil flow to the oil pump.

If the dents are elsewhere and it's not leaking then you maybe best to leave well alone and just paint it to prevent it rusting.

I have not changed a sump pan on your engine , however many Ford engines of that era including CVH's and Pinto's had 1 or 2 seals that accompany the sump gasket 1 at each end of the crankshaft. A tip you may find useful if you want to refit them whilst the sump is in situ, is you can use superglue on the seals to the sump of crank caps to correctly locate them whilst refitting the sump from underneath the car.
    Without seeing the underside of your setup,I am unsure if removal of the sump when fitted in a Marlin is possible.
    However,if it is I imagine it may require removal of the anti roll bar and possibly a cross member (assuming it has one like the Ford cars did). All of which would be easier than removing the engine.
    Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 09-05-20, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Sleeping policemen or as many nations call them are becoming increasingly common.
      i understand the principle and accept that there is a need in particular areas, but there seems to be no European standard for the shape size and profile that car manufacturers could design into their suspension characteristics.

There is one not far from me that is particularly vicious. I am pretty sure that people leave their damaged front skirts ar the side of the road, in an effort to warn others, there is quite a pile!
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Steve, you are right, if only there was a ‘standard’ we would at least know how to approach them to avoid and/or limit the under vehicle damage, sadly not so!

You’re never quite sure; left wheel, right wheel or head straight on!

Colin B
        Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

< assets.publishing.service.gov.uk › uploads › attachment_data › file › ltn-. >

Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

This wouldn't go into the box above without being highlighted along with the link.?? Happy reading.

There are laid down standards as a guide the problem is the contractors that install these systems seem to do their own thing. Try being in a twelve tonne Fire appliance when it bounces over a platform table at anything over walking pace!!
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

When I first got my Roadster it had a well bashed sump. This was because there was about 4" ground clearance. I welded a 1/4" steel skid plate to it. Once I had reset the suspension there was lots.

Comment

Working...
              X