Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa, and maybe Fiat, propshaft question

Hi,

I was out for an essential run to the shops the other day when there was a thumping under Brum and when I looked in the mirror I thought I had run over something. I now have a bit of vibration and after looking under it seems a lump of rubber has come off the rubber doughnut coupling. Disappointing as this was replaced when she was built some 8000 miles ago.
    I was wondering if has this happened to any other of the Alfa guys? Do you even use it or have you had the propshaft modified in any way e.g. fitting a UJ at the box end?
    I appreciate that on the Alfa the front shaft runs straight and through a centre bearing before it dips down to the diff. The shaft on Brum is at angle, all be it, quite shallow due to the gearbox mount having spacers fitted to lower the rear, however I am concerned that even this angle may be too much for the doughnut to cope with.

Thoughts????

Thanks
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Re: Alfa, and maybe Fiat, propshaft question

On my Fiat engined Roadster I made up a new flange to suit the marina propshaft coupling and had the shaft altered to suit the new length. If memory serves me right I also shortened the output shaft to clear the coupling. I can't remember if I machined off the spider arms and welded on the disk then m/c it to size.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by h_m_cumming; 25-05-20, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Re: Alfa, and maybe Fiat, propshaft question

I think that's the way to go. I'll have to speak to someone about redesigning the shaft to incorporate a UJ at the gearbox end. Sounds expensive
      Stumbling around in the dark
      Marina based SWB roadster
      Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Working...
      X