Ford based Sportser ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford based Sportser ball joints

It's been a while since I logged on here, hope everyone is OK.

I have a question regarding the balljoints on my 1997 Sportster which I think is Ford suspension with BMW engine/gearbox. I believe the balljoints are Metro, but I found a long thread on Madabout Kitcars which seemed to indicate I need to use Post 1984 parts becasue the taper is large and there is less chance of the balljoint bieng pulled too far into the hub. However, I think that possibly relates to BMW suspension. Any ideas whether a Ford based Sportster needs pre or post 1984 Metro ball joints?

I'll update my thread on my ignition/fuelling woes at when i get some time, as its been a long saga but the car is running again now.

Thanks for any replies
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: Ford based Sportser ball joints

I can't comment on fit on a 97, but on my 2005 - E30 BMW based kit I'm using metro ball joints, part number: GSJ268

I normally get them from mini spares, they don't last very long though: https://www.minispares.com/product/C...%20to%20search
    BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
    http://www.modelog.co.uk/
    http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks, the old thread I found seemed to imply that GSJ268 the pre84 item was the one with the taper thats too small.

It seemed to imply GSJ269 was the better bet https://www.minispares.com/product/C...%20to%20search

I'm tempted to try the GSJ269 item, but I'll wait to see if anyone has any other info
      Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
      Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
      Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by acbluemarlin View Post
        It's been a while since I logged on here, hope everyone is OK.

I have a question regarding the balljoints on my 1997 Sportster which I think is Ford suspension with BMW engine/gearbox. I believe the balljoints are Metro, but I found a long thread on Madabout Kitcars which seemed to indicate I need to use Post 1984 parts becasue the taper is large and there is less chance of the balljoint bieng pulled too far into the hub. However, I think that possibly relates to BMW suspension. Any ideas whether a Ford based Sportster needs pre or post 1984 Metro ball joints?

I'll update my thread on my ignition/fuelling woes at when i get some time, as its been a long saga but the car is running again now.

Thanks for any replies
        The discussion on Madaboutkitcars is only applicable to the Metro ball joints used with the BMW e30 uprights.
        IIRC the early Sportsters used Ford Cortina uprights but I don't know what ball joints were used, I'm pretty sure they were not the screw-in Metro type.

Comment

Thanks, I will investigate Cortina bottom balljoints. I remember from my Cabrio build that Paul Moorhouse used Metro balljoints in the Sierra hub for the upper wishbone, so thought the Sportster may do the same, but hopefully they are just Cortina one's.

Comment

Burton Power supply the Ford Cortina ball joints.

Do these look like the ones fitted to your car?

Comment

Thanks for the reply - i decided they looked close enough to try a couple and actually ordered a pair from Burtons on Saturday. I'll report back on how they go. I spent some time yetsreday setting the tracking with some string, 4 axle stands and in a 21st century twist a cheap chinese digital caliper rather than a ruler :-)

Comment

Working...
              X