Gear Knob Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Knob Removal

Does anyone know how to remove the gear knob off a Ford MT75 gearbox. Its not at all clear in the Haynes manual. In my case the collar you lift to engage reverse has virtually disintegrated and I need to find/make a replacement. Any ideas appreciated.

Re: Gear Knob Removal

Geoff...I think it's just a straight pull off...there'e a groove about an inch down from the top of the gear stick running around the tube and the plastic clips into it. There was a replacement available from Ford that looks very like mahogany (it's not, it's a clever moulding..I bought mine on Ebay ages ago). The base has a 20mm diameter recess into it which allows the reverse selector collar to slip up into the base of the knob. If my car was at home, I'd snap a photo or two and forward them....but it's still in lockdown accomodation and doesn't come home until next week. Can you wait until then?
    Bill

Comment

Is it one of the knobs the Club sold in Club goods? If so it will be glued won.

Comment

Its the original Ford knob and I must admit it does look as though the only to get it off is to pull it.

Comment

You are correct - you just pull it (it's a heck of a pull)

Comment

Thanks Keith, I did pull as hard as I could but my back started to protest. Maybe I need to sling a block and tackle over the garage rafters and try that. The reason I want to remove it is because a piece has broken out of the plastic collar you pull up to engage reverse. It still works but it's a bit rough on the fingers. I might live with it for the summer and add it to the winter job list.

Comment

Tempting to post a word of caution here but some may not appreciate its a joke.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Geoff. Is it possible to build up the broken section with epoxy/ JB weld, whatever, and file it to shape ? Regards David

Comment

Hi Geoff,
                  Lots of info about the MT75 gearbox here:
                  Oops, looks like the page is lost. Start your website on the cheap.

I have attached one of several sectional drawing giving a detailed view of the knob. It doesn’t say how to remove it. The parts listed as follows:
                  1. Shift knob – wiring
                  2. Sleeve – reverse lock
                  3. Gear lever
                  4. Draw – reverse lock
                  MT75-gear-shift.jpg

Fordopedia has a diagram, attached, showing a collar, item 9, but annoyingly no parts list.

H6.10.jpg

I have attached a couple of pictures of my shaft. My knob was removed by someone else. I don’t know how or when. In the fullness of time I will replace it with a large stiff rounded solid polished wooden one that comes easily to hand and is sensual to the touch.

20200629_134400.jpg20200629_133705.jpg

Paul

Comment

Dave, when I managed to find the broken off bit which had somehow migrated to under the seat I did try epoxying it back on but the reverse lock sleeve seems to be made of a hard rubbery plastic and the epoxy wouldn't take with sufficient strength. The intention then was to get the knob out of the way and somehow re-engineer the sleeve.

Paul, thanks for the diagrams which do seem to confirm the knob just pulls off. I'll down a few Weetabix and have another go a bit later!!

Comment

How about getting it really warm with the other half's hair dryer when she's not looking.

Comment

Good idea but if I get found out the pain will be much worse than me just catching my finger on the broken bit!!

Comment

Working...
                        X