Wing bracket and fog ligh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing bracket and fog ligh

Fog light first, have you seen the cost of a new BMW double spot/fog switch? Seemed the switch had failed, so acquired another from eBay, that was a cheeky bid of £25, others asking £50+.
    Arrived fitted not working, could have returned it but thought possible to make a good one out of the two I had. They strip down quite easily when you start, mind the springs, and both were just full of crud. Cleaned adjusted contacts and both work perfectly.
    Wing bracket broke so temp repair with catenary band, a nail and cable ties, stronger than it sounds. Some 3mm plate cut 5mm and shaped to stay rod, plate welded, rib welded underneath so invisible repair, put back together painted and not a bad job. Next time, the other side, will take the wheel off, only to make putting it all back easier. MOT the weekend coming.
    Last edited by stevepritch; 30-06-20, 03:04 PM.

Re: Wing bracket and fog ligh

Well done for sorting the switch. It stuck occasionally when in my ownership.

The wing stays were always a weak point in the design. As you have probably read yours have lasted much longer than most. If you ever consider a redesign the most important point is to fix them in a manner to minimise the vibration. That's what causes the failure. Along with all the potholes we have. You probably noticed already they are attached on your car with two brackets - this was my mod to try and minimise vibration. Seems to have been a partial success at least.

Cheers Robin

Comment

Hello Robin. The design of the brackets has proven to be very robust. The break actually happened across the flat bar before the bend into the wing. There was a hole for cable tie. it fractured through that. The rest of the bracketry looks to be in good condition. I would suggest what you put together had been very successful.
      How is the Pembleton, enjoying it? All the best....Steve

Comment

Pembleton is fun. Puts a smile on everyone's face ☺. But the missus said next time can I build something with a hood and heater. That sounds like permission for a new project....

Cheers Robin

Comment

👍 Well what can a man do!?

Comment

And a good MOT, very kit friendly, and flew through. Happy day 😁

Comment

Working...
            X