General Wiring Information, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Wiring Information, please

Some time ago, when the column mounted switch gear packed up, it was all replaced with dash mounted switching and a couple of additions...an intermittent wash/wipe was one. I am beginning to experience minor problems... the electric windows sometimes don't wind and currently the indicators aren't indicating. I know my hand signals, but do all the others on our roads? Looking behind the dash reveals the not unexpected birds nest /maze of different diameters / colours and connectors, so I feel there may be a need to do some renewal / tidying / upgrading. At this point I'm fairly ignorant of my staring point...Marlin did produce a replacement wiring loom for the Cabrio...was it British Standard wiring (ie Lucas ) colour coded ? How do I tell "At a glance" if my loom is a Marlin one, or a recycled Ford Sierra one....the Sierra option would be a bit of a nightmare scenario as Ford colour coding has always seemed to be a dark art...varying and changing according to a seemingly infinite number of unlisted variables. In days of yore (1991) Trust Electrical (of Harrogate), in the person of one Martin Griffin, produced complete wiring harness for the Cortina / Sierra based kits of the era which arrived with all the connectors and an excellent set of instructions. Are such kits still available? Anyone know where from?
    For now, I shall trouble shoot my indicators and intermittent wiper module, with a view to having a little fun from my car this year...but a longer term solution is certainly required.

Re: General Wiring Information, please

A general search on the internet will reveal several kit car wiring looms. Some are complete and some consist of central modules that you must wire up. I can't recommend any as I got mine many years ago from Premier wiring and I don't think that are in contact anymore.

Comment

Bill, I have the Premier Wiring loom instructions as used with the Hunter, happy to let you have a copy if you think it will be of use. If you want to compare my loom to yours I am only 5 mins away Cheers Julian.

Comment

Than you Julian, that's hugely helpful. I'll give you a call in the next couple of days.
        Bill

Comment

I bought my loom for my Roadster from Premier Wiring Solutions a year or so ago.
          Their email and contact is Alan Boxshall
          [email protected]
          I also have a phone number for their help line

Comment

THANK YOU...again, that's extremely helpful.

Comment

Hi - Before rewiring, check that the battery is up to the job. I know mine is dead having stood for a while! Will the battery start the car? Window winders take a fair current, and ought to be wired through relays. Also wiper delay and indicators rely on relays. If the voltage is low they may not work reliably. You don't say if your problems are when the car is running or with the engine stalled - if the latter, start it, the alternator may provide enough oomph to get the electrics behaving. Cheers - Dave

Comment

Coming back to the windows don't wind.
                Is it using the original Sierra switches (they are mounted on a square panel)? I had a similar issue and carefully prised apart the switch, it was full of dirt. After cleaning and re-assembling it worked perfectly.

Comment

Hi - I've definitely had trouble with corrosion in the window switches before. Clean out the worst of the gunk, then spray with switch cleaner. Amazing what washes out! Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X