Steering column position and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column position and other questions

If all goes according to plan I will shortly be the owner of a Marina based roadster requiring restoration. I have the first of what will be many questions I guess.

Is it possible to relocate the steering column so that it is under rather than through the dash? I am guessing that the pedal box position may be an issue?

Many years ago I saw a roadster that had shortened rear springs so that they didn't "hang out" so much from the rear of the car. Does anyone know if this car is still around and if there are any problems with this mod?

Cheers Robin

PS. I am not a newbie having built a triumph based roadster and BMW based sportester previously.

Re: Steering column position and other questions

Some years ago I modified my old Marina based Roadster steering so that the column went down at a more conventional angle under the dash. I used a Ford Capri column which is very long and cut a hole in the pedal box between the accelerator and brake pedals. The end of the column just went through this hole and was supported by a bracket. The intermediate shaft between the column and the rack had to be modified (either shortened or lengthened, I can't remember which).

Comment

It can be done possibly using a Triumph column as in a hybrid this pic is a Marina based car with a re positioned column you need to make sure the steering wheel clears your knee when operating the clutch pedal.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I remembered these pics from the archive, don't know which Roadster it is, but thought
        they are worth bringing to light again - were they in Pitstop some years ago ?

Not what you are suggesting Robin, but an interesting way of changing direction/location

Is this a Ford engine ?

Note also the anti cracking bulkhead reinforcement triangle under the pedal box
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys. So it can be done.
          I think that's a Ford pinto engine in the picture.
          Does anyone remember the rear leaf spring mod I mentioned?
          Cheers Robin

Comment

Sorry Martin but you are wrong that is a Ford X flow of probably 1600 or 1700 cc capacity. The reason the steering column was run like that is that the inlet manifold used is for twin 40/45 webbers or Dellortos.
            The intention must have been to route the steering column to miss the large protruding carbs. I imagine clearance would still have been tight though and might not have been sufficient to run air filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
              Sorry Martin but you are wrong that is a Ford X flow of probably 1600 or 1700 cc capacity. The reason the steering column was run like that is that the inlet manifold used is for twin 40/45 webbers or Dellortos.
              The intention must have been to route the steering column to miss the large protruding carbs. I imagine clearance would still have been tight though and might not have been sufficient to run air filters.
              That engine is not a Pinto nor Crossflow think it is BMC of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by yousay54 View Post
                That engine is not a Pinto nor Crossflow think it is BMC of some sort.
                Seen the full photos that is a crossflow.

Comment

Oops, I seem to have started a quiz, I must admit I thought it was a Ford X flow

I think it's very similar to this one, in an unidentified Roadster at Newark in 1984
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robin

Regarding the rear leaf spring mod I remember talking to an owner many many years ago who did this - Nigel ? - to a fabulous white hybrid.
                    He said he made a mistake ordering shorter springs - as they came shortened equally around the centre. When fitted it moved the axle forward and required a shorter prop shaft.
                    It looked much neater than the standard arrangement - but do specify that the reduction in length be taken from the rear of the spring.
                    I also seem to remember it lowered the stance of the car at the rear - but again this was seen as an aesthetic improvement too.
                    Regards
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by yousay54 View Post
                      Seen the full photos that is a crossflow.
                      I agree
                      That is a ford crossflow in Andrew Browns Car

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Hi Robin

Regarding the rear leaf spring mod I remember talking to an owner many many years ago who did this - Nigel ? - to a fabulous white hybrid.
                        He said he made a mistake ordering shorter springs - as they came shortened equally around the centre. When fitted it moved the axle forward and required a shorter prop shaft.
                        It looked much neater than the standard arrangement - but do specify that the reduction in length be taken from the rear of the spring.
                        I also seem to remember it lowered the stance of the car at the rear - but again this was seen as an aesthetic improvement too.
                        Regards
                        Mike
                        Interesting that Mike, that he he chose the route that meant he had to shorten the prop. That infers that he kept the forward spring mount in the same place and just modified the back? To my mind then surely this would also bring the wheels forward in the wheel arch and wouldn't that look strange?

The correct solution (in my mind) with equidistant shorter springs would have been to have kept the axle position and reposition both front and rear mounts.

Also on the same topic, surely (lot of "surely's" in this post) just shortening the rear of the spring (and keeping the existing axle position) will have a strange effect on how the spring operates? IMO you will end up with a leaf spring with more flex in front of the axle and a lot stiffer at the rear. I doubt the spring will be working to it's best ability like that. I suspect the springing may well be firmer.

I had a lovely little Dutton Melos for many years (named Daisy) and know that if the leaf springs are fitted correctly then it can give a lovely compliant ride.
                        Last edited by wiggiesworld; 18-07-20, 04:20 PM.
                        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Hi T Branson, I guess you mean Andrews red one reg LYA

Cos I'm still trying to ID the green one from the 1984 pics

Comment

The three photos of the steering column mods are indeed on my red Marlin, LYA 879 P. They were done by Steve Holder before he stopped working on Marlins. The mod is to clear the twin Weber 40s. I've driven the car a good few hundred miles since getting it back on the road last summer and I can't tell any difference - the steering works just fine. The inlet manifold is a 70mm one machined-down to 60mm. With short trumpets it's just possible to fit individual gauze air filters (Burton Part No. AFM4056) to each trumpet without any bodywork modifications. OK, a shortened inlet tract is not ideal for trials but those who've seen the car in action can vouch for the fact that the complete set-up does work (and sounds fantastic!). Also note the lack of a brake servo - another thing that had to go to shoehorn the carbs in.
                            Last edited by AndrewKB; 17-07-20, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for the info Andrew

Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                              X